making a move... about time

philayre

Member +
Hay guys, its been an age since i posted on the forum, but have never been far- checking up on things most Friday afternoon's in work, making sure there's no big fights brewing or shite being talked :p

Just thought id come on here looking some support... in January i was bored silly in work, and had been for some time. So i applied for a new job, just a bit of craic, was going with a great girl at the time so didn't really take it seriously until i was offered an interview - and subsequently the bloody job! lol

only problem is im a fucking homebird right through, and this job, which is a fantastic opportunity for me professionally, is in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I'm from a wee town in Northern Ireland so its a bloody big move- for me personally anyway.

So now I'm a single man, packing the boot of the car today for the move (no idea what i should be bringing), im working in Belfast until this wed, and the ferry is booked for Friday. I'm actually shitting glass!!! lol

any of you guys here made any big moves and succeeded? any advice hints or tips? not looking forward to leaving all my friends and family behind, keep wondering what the hell I'l do with myself on Sunday afternoon's!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well since i live on a tiny island.. i cant really say much about making big moves.. a big move for me would be probably a walk for u guys from the centre of a town to ur house lol...

all i can say is take it easy & a day at a time! like some sort of adventure :D that way it should keep u interested lol ;)

besides im sure we have ppl on site from around the area so they could help u if u need anyhing.. lol :D

best of luck!
kon

well since i live on a tiny island.. i cant really say much about making big moves.. a big move for me would be probably a walk for u guys from the centre of a town to ur house lol...

all i can say is take it easy & a day at a time! like some sort of adventure :D that way it should keep u interested lol ;)

besides im sure we have ppl on site from around the area so they could help u if u need anyhing.. lol :D

best of luck!
kon

Some good advice there. Aye man you will be grand, I know your nervous but when you get over there you will meet new people and make more friends, it will be a great experience and boost your career propects by the sound of it. Good luck with the big move!!!:p
Christy

Kelly

Member +
I'm sure all will go well for you. You'll be suprised how quickly you will make new friends :) Maybe some members off here near the area where your moving too can help you out :)

All the best :)

SupaStu

Member +
You'll be fine, Newcastle is a great city, plus no big deal if you want to fly back as flights should be fairly cheap.

I moved to Northern Ireland from Glasgow (lived in glasgow for 10 yrs) about a 1.5 yr ago and all going well, although my girlfriend is from here. Moved to a little small country town, and about to move into the countryside itself. It keeps things interesting, can get boring if you stay or do the same thing all the time.

Best thing to do is keep in touch with everyone and get you mates to come over to you and make the most of weekends, whether you get pissed etc or go out and do stuff.

Change is always awkward at first for most people but a piece of piss once you been there for a short time, hell you can move anywhere and do the same stuff at the weekends, ie get pissed, go out in the car, go out with girls.

Same stuff different location!!

New job = more cash to splash

Enjoy

Last edited:

philayre

Member +
cheers guys, just a lot to take on board at one time, starting a new job can be tiring enough never mind moving to a new city too! lol, as long as i last out the first few months il be grand.

thanks

DriveR

Member +
Wow!

OK I'm quite shocked to see this post, but also very happy! I'll explain...I'm an old school member of this site, but I've been busy involved with other things for the last year as have had a lot on my plate. I've actually just made a big move from down in Somerset in the south west of england to 20 mins south of....wait for it....Newcastle-Upon-Tyne!!

I was literally just about to write a post to see if anyone on the site lives up here, I saw my first GT the other day having been keeping an eye out for them, and that motivated me to come online and write a post, BUT....low and behold, I decide to run a search on newcastle and came up with this little gem of a thread!!

Buddy, we're in the same boat! I'll meet up for a couple of beers or whatever, that'd be awesome. I live in a village near Peterlee, and 10 mins from Durham....Newcastle is just a little blip up the A1 or A19....I haven't really explored Newcastl;e yet but I have driven through it, looks like a cool place...The north east is quite a cool place to live actually, i've been up here for nearly 2 months now.

Jay

Admin
TGTT - Bringing people together. :)

Phil, I'm a homebird myself and probably couldn't leave this forsaken corner of the globe even if I tried so I can appreciate the 'oh fuck' factor involved. It's a big move but also a big adventure.

Remember : Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hope both of you enjoy your relocations lads!

gv1.3

Admin
Hi Phil,

I moved from Ireland to America in Jan after working in an organisation for 7 years. So far so good mate.

Moving to a new location always comes with a certain feeling of uncertainty but once you settle you will be fine.

The only thing I miss about Ireland is my Glanza... but I get to drive her next week when I visit :)

DriveR

Member +
lol @ Jay...Bringing people together indeed, I'm very grateful for the cool peeps I've managed to meet through this site over the years.

Yep, another 3000 miles added to my distance moved and maybe i could begin to contend with gv1.3. But in all fairness, the lads are right. Life is here to be lived, sure there's no place like home, but you can always go back and visit, or if worse comes to worse you can chuck the job in and return for good. But more often than not, in my experience, taking the plunge bracing yourself and going out on a limb in a new place, new country, meeting new people etc can do you the world of good....it adds to your character and experience of the world around you.

I'd jump at the chance to move to a different country at some point, in fact i'm almost certain i will do that one day...not because I hate my home country, far from it, but just to experience more of the world you know. There's a whole planet out there, with a ton of different places, people and things to be seen and done....Those are my two cents anyway :)

I'll be over here if you want to hook up for a beer/coffee or something if you do decide to give it a shot anyhow.

All the best mate,

Rob

aaronw

Member +
i lived on a litlle scottish island on the west coast called 'Arran'

.and met my gf who was from montrose (between dundee and aberdeen) ,never thought id leave there after 17 years (im 22 been there since i was 4) of being brought up there as its a different completly different life,52miles right round the island.

anyway after qualifieng as a brickie i took the chance to move to montrose and 1 year later here i am,bought a house and have a great job (and with the g/f).

atleast if you dont like it you can move back.

my lil story^^

philayre

Member +
Guys, sorry its been so long, but i hope nobody will mind when my excuse is having a cracker time!!! been here just over a week now, the people ive met over the last few days are fantastic! i think all the hanging around i had to do before the move was a real downer for me- instead of just getting on with it. going away makes you put more effort into meeting people and annoying those bastards who try and keep their head down by going over and chatting, plus having a funny accent gives people something to talk about. My new job is going well so far and i moved in with 2 fellas from the city who are good campany. think ive been pissed for about a fortnight!!

tonight was ment to be a quiet one in till i ended up going to a concert with a few guys from work! lol

went home this weekend and i was bored shitless- couldn't wait to come back to newcastle. Met up with the ex tho, had a good night, she will always remain in my good books- a good source of wisdom, may we remain friends for a good while yet. :) amd good luck to her in all her ventures too.

anyways, thanks again- DaveR you will have a U2U in two ticks, as for me its off to bed now, got a 'breakfast meeting' (who ever heard of such bollox) which means an early start- buit free food! lol

off to sober up now- night! :)

xox

DriveR

Member +
Haha no worries Phil glad you decided to take the plunge, it seems like it's all worked out for you, which is fantastic. u2u received mate, and replied ;)

Nice one.

Rob