manifold fitting for ct9 turbo

can anyone help me out give me some pointers and tip how to fit a manifold to the original ct9 turbo without having to take everything out i.e turbo, rad etc, ive looked for threads and cant find any that are much use as they all involve taking out shit loads of stuff which i wanted to avoid. i know itll be harder but i know that people have done it, just want to know what theyve used and gone about doing it thanks

steve-gers

Member +
i'd imagine stubby spanners would be a must. Its not to hard to remove it all, I can strip it all in about 2 hours now and i'm no mechanic

can anyone help me out give me some pointers and tip how to fit a manifold to the original ct9 turbo without having to take everything out i.e turbo, rad etc, ive looked for threads and cant find any that are much use as they all involve taking out shit loads of stuff which i wanted to avoid. i know itll be harder but i know that people have done it, just want to know what theyve used and gone about doing it thanks

It takes about 30 seconds to take the radiator out, two bolts two pipes and BANG its out. As for not taking the Turbo off, its attached to the manifold so you don't have a choice. Get stuck in there Rupert!

Also, just to add, you may need a size 14 dog leg spanner.

i'd imagine stubby spanners would be a must. Its not to hard to remove it all, I can strip it all in about 2 hours now and i'm no mechanic

neifa am i and but i can do things myself with the know how and a guide in my head lol
just done fitted my fmic and removed the air con, fitted a fpr and made my own front mount filter kit so i should be able to do this

did u remove the turbo or rad?

would this be perfect for the job?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160567145905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

steve-gers

Member +
doubt you could do it without removing the turbo as the studs on the manifold and also on the oil feed require a fair bit of movement to come off and you would most likely bend or break the oil feed.

steve-gers

Member +
Yeah you could do it like this but you risk bending or damaging the oil feed pipe going to the turbo. Not only that but you would need to unbolt the downpipe brace (if you have one anyway to do this and for all the extra time (about 7 bolts + brace bolts) it would take to unbolt turbo and oil feed it would be safer.

ryan-11

Member +
just take the radiator out its alot easier, it will prob take less time too, imo the best way is to take the mani,turbo and downpipe off as one.

fuck, i dont really wana do all that might just get it fitted, where does the turbo mount to the car? where are the nuts?

Last edited:

steve-gers

Member +
It's only attached to the manifold by 4 nuts and to the downpipe by 4, then the oil feed is attached by 2 nuts and a banjo bolt. Really easy to take off, also remember to take the water line off there are 2 just squeeze the clips and the pipe will pull off by hand.

steve-gers

Member +
You won't mess it up if you take your time the oil feed is removed by undoing 2 nuts on the underside of the turbo and a banjo bolt near the oil filter and it just pulls off really easy goes back on the same way.

starbuck

Member +
Just undo the banjo bolt on the oil feed. You don't need to take it off the tubby. Easier when its out as a oner.

steve-gers

Member +
true, last time I took mine off though the pipe had bent as my manifold had snapped and the weight of the turbo was on the pipe lol.

AdamB

Member +
just take the radiator out its alot easier, it will prob take less time too, imo the best way is to take the mani,turbo and downpipe off as one.

This :)
Remove the radiator first, then whip the turbo, mani and downpipe out as one. You can the remove parts on the floor. Will save you a lot of time.

starbuck

Member +
Oops. Also recommend getting at least a new turbo to mani gasket as these are crush type and.not meant for multiple use.

ordered both gaskets, how do people do it with turbo still on ?

so to remove turbo
undo water and oil lines
unbolt from mani and unbolt from downpipe
remove air intake

do the oil and water lines pour out the fluid so i have to use a tray to catch it

Last edited:

gurrturbo

Member +
take the radiator out, undo the 4 nuts that hold the manifold to the turbo, undo the 2 bolts the brace the downpipe to the block, then undo all the manifold bolts pull the manifold away from the block then pull it up. but as the guy said above this is not the best way to do it as it bends the oil feed pipe which tend to brake easily as i found out myself. not only this its a massive ball ache that way. i also found that i couldnt get the torque on the back 2 nut that hold the turbo to the manifold thus the nut came undun and blew the gasket. so the best and easiest way to do it is to take the manfold,turbo and downpipe out in one and it takes less time