Misterious Oil Leak???

racerboymx

Member +
I have a bad oil leak and i cant figure out where its cumming from:confused: it only leaks when i drive the car, its hiting the drives side driveshaft and then its sending it every where, ive cleaned it off time and time again but i just cannot locate it:mad: i taught it was the power steering pump cos it was a bit snotty so i changed it but its still happening!!! im only after putting new crank oil seals in so its not it!! im not losing brake or clutch fluid and theres no smell of the oil either....its completly doing my head in help please???:slap:

finx

Member +
are you sure the oil seal didn't get pinched when installing the new ones? this can happen which means its not sealing properly and when the engine is under load and there is pressure in the crank case its pushing the oil through.
did you install the new seals with grease or oil on the sealing surface ?

other things it could be in that area is sump gasket not sealing properly, dip stick o ring stuffed, or rocker cover gasket.

give the entire engine a good de-grease and hose off and then start again. or better get the water blaster or steam cleaner out. being cairfull not to blast electrical plugs or the distributor.

turn the engine on and let it run. check all these areas. if it doesnt leak on idle then take it for a quick 2min drive up the road and back. then check for leaks. if the leak surfaces, follow the oil to its highest point on the engine this will give you a good idea where its coming from.

racerboymx

Member +
i toke off the bottom pulley and plastics covering the timing belt and it is bone dry in their so that rules out crank seals! i changed the rocker cover gasket and im 99% sure the sump is sealed correctly!!

nexia201

Member +
does the 4efte have oil passages blocked by the intake mani? as i never took one off? cos if so it might be leaking from there to be dropping on the shaft at the back or in extreme it could be leaking between the block and the cylhead at the back but then you should see a drop in oil pressure

Jay

Admin
Seen quite a few cases where the sump starts to weep a little along the seal with the block. Would be a good thing to check if you haven't already mate.

nexia201

Member +
Seen quite a few cases where the sump starts to weep a little along the seal with the block. Would be a good thing to check if you haven't already mate.

Jay he said he is 99% sure that its not the sump mmm well there is still that 1% tough deano style lol

Mike D EP82

Member +
id go with the sump also. especially around the underside of the crank. in the corners. if you remove the sump, make sure when resealing it do not put too much on as there is an oil pressure hole at the front side of the engine and can block this and theres no oil pressure. this happened to me and sent me off my nut trying to find out why there was no oil pressure. could it possibly be coming from higher up ie head gasket?

racerboymx

Member +
Changed the o-ring on the dip stick and yes just to be sure i toke the sump off and resealed it so leaving it over night to properly set, so tune in tomorrow morning 4da results dom dom doooooom;)

Just what "toms kitted ep82" was talking about an oil pressure hole at the front side of the engine...i didnt know anything about this...so what happens if the hole gets blocked with gasket glue:confused:

Mike D EP82

Member +
you will get no oil pressure and in my case the car failed to run. just kept stalling or running really bad that i shut it off. i made sure the sealer was a little thinner and as far away from the hole as possible