Mk 1 questions

Barry d

Member +
Hi guy’s purchase a gt and I’ve a few questions I’d like to rattle you brain with it’s an early 1990 mk1 with the blueish dash?this normal any gts i seen have the gray ish dash
And would anyone have heard of no power steering from factory as it has none and dosnt ever seem to of had it

Jay

Admin
Nice purchase :)

Mk1's had a choice of grey or blue plastics, the JDM non-turbos even had a beige/brown option:

img024.jpg

Both my grey mk1's have the blue plastics which is a curse if you need to replace anything. Had considered swapping one to grey dash but it's a lot of work. Might wait till I need a matrix replacement.

Power steering was standard on the turbo models, the only ones I've seen missing it have been modified. A popular option back in the day was to delete the pump and loop the rack (or fit an EP80 rack completely) for the agricultural feel.

Barry d

Member +
Nice purchase :)

Mk1's had a choice of grey or blue plastics, the JDM non-turbos even had a beige/brown option:

View attachment 10698

Both my grey mk1's have the blue plastics which is a curse if you need to replace anything. Had considered swapping one to grey dash but it's a lot of work. Might wait till I need a matrix replacement.

Power steering was standard on the turbo models, the only ones I've seen missing it have been modified. A popular option back in the day was to delete the pump and loop the rack (or fit an EP80 rack completely) for the agricultural feel.
Thanks jay your a man of knowledge,,couldn’t understand stand the blue dash as gray seems to be the normal so can call it rareit’s a fresh import and bog standard granny spec never messed with original wheel caps and all,,must of changed to ep80 rack in Japan as it’s not piped just a solid rack so weird there no sign it was messed with really looks original,,not looking forward to changing bits of the interior in the future as it’s blue

Barry d

Member +
As you can see original as you can get these days

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4352.jpeg
    IMG_4352.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 13

Jay

Admin
Some shape - that's a stunner!

The PAS should be there but I can double check the parts catalogues in case I've missed something. Given it shares the same belt as the aircon is the compressor still there?

Barry d

Member +
Some shape - that's a stunner!

The PAS should be there but I can double check the parts catalogues in case I've missed something. Given it shares the same belt as the aircon is the compressor still there?
Yea has aircon which actually works,,really looks like a factory job,,had the good look at the steering column which dosnt look like it was ever touched bolts look fresh never touched,,I also think it might be the snow version

Jay

Admin
You could be onto something Barry, there is a 'manual' steering rack listed on the 1989-1991 model (mk1) which disappears with the mk2 in 1992.

Probably not an easy thing to get but could you look for any part numbers/stickers on the rack and aircon next time you are underneath her?

I always love to see something rare, would be nice to prove it as factory :)

Barry d

Member +
I’m interested too Iv talked to a few starlet guys and they have never seen it let along the blueish plastics in the gt,,I’ll definitely look for part numbers In invested now would love to know,,Iv to install the footwell light later in the week and I’ll see is there anything on the columns

Attachments

• IMG_4504.png
    IMG_4504.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 8

starletsy

Member +
Stunning car Barry would you be able to do me a favour? I would appreciate some pictures of the tensioner for the AC belt and how this is done as the PS pump is usually the tensioner for that belt.

Reactions: Jay

Barry d

Member +
Stunning car Barry would you be able to do me a favour? I would appreciate some pictures of the tensioner for the AC belt and how this is done as the PS pump is usually the tensioner for that belt.
Yea will do be a few days time agin I’m up at the car but will post when I have themare you doing a power steering delete

Jay

Admin
Diagrams show an IP (idler pulley?) in that area:

1703185692583.png

Might give Barry an idea of what to look for:

1703185832759.png

88595 & 88444 are totally new to me, don't think I've ever seen those myself.

SKINY

Lifer
I have a MK1 dash in the roofspace, will report back colour tomorrow
My MK dash is like a dark gray :)

Barry d

Member +
I’ll be at the car tomorrow will get a few pictures and numbers to confirm,,so jay we are saying there were two different colour types for interior dash and plastics and two different colours types for the seat fabric as well?mk 1 only,,