mk1 queries

ZEP 082

Member +
are there any mk1s that came without the rear seatbelts? mine seems to have all the holes for the bolts but the plastics aren't drilled for the bolts and was wondering if any one got the same.

also the mk1 hasn't got that hump (the mounting point on the floor of the car) for the 3-point oem strut brace. anyone tried fitting one on a mk1?

bumblebee

Member +
the 3-point oem strut brace wasnt made for the mk1 (between 89-92 i think)
I got one in my car though..had to chop off the ends, switch them around and weld them back together..as for the hump in the floor, i drilled 2 holes there

it took a couple hours but it was worth it...or u could buy a 2-point rear strut

you could get one from Zep, Cusco, Whiteline etc

ZEP 082

Member +
I got one in my car though..had to chop off the ends, switch them around and weld them back together

why?

i know i can get a two point but wanting an oem item. already had one in my glanza and you can get a 3-point at the price of an aftermarket 2-point item which is a bonus imo.

bumblebee

Member +
i had to modify it bcuz the shock mounts are different...where the strut bolts on to..they are in the opposite direction..look at one in the glanza then in the mk1 then you'll understand

Johnny_B

Member +
so they seem to have lap belts only? where's jay to confirm this?

It's a fact mate, think I would have noticed if it had something different.

The law in Japan only required pre'92 cars to have lap belts and not proper enertia seat belts that you'll find in mk2's and 3's

Jay

Admin
The majority of mk1 GT's featured lapbelts only. I feel this was the initial spec.

I have however seen plenty of Mk1's with the boltholes for the three-point belts predrilled into the C-pillar so it appears to have been a production change midway through the Mk1. I have also seen one Mk1 with three-points so my guess is they were phased in slowly between 1989 and 1991. Probably due to a few crashes and subsequent outcry.

Jay

Guye

Lifer
The majority of mk1 GT's featured lapbelts only. I feel this was the initial spec.

I have however seen plenty of Mk1's with the boltholes for the three-point belts predrilled into the C-pillar so it appears to have been a production change midway through the Mk1. I have also seen one Mk1 with three-points so my guess is they were phased in slowly between 1989 and 1991. Probably due to a few crashes and subsequent outcry.

Jay
My old mk1 had three point belts in the back. As always good bit of starlet info there.

ZEP 082

Member +
My old mk1 had three point belts in the back. As always good bit of starlet info there.

x2

repp'd jay.

i think i will go for 3-point rears from a mk2 or mk3 later on for added safety(sometimes with kids at the back).