my car doesn't sound well

Lornce

Member +
hello people,

after driving to work this morning down the motorway, i parked my car up and left it running (turbo timer), and when i got out it sounded harsh.

its sounds like chu chu chu chu chu - (say that very fast). im worried, as its never sounded like that before!

I know its a shot in the dark but does anyone experienced this before? or know what it could be? Cheers

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Check around your breather on rocker cover and the dump valve for oil mate, if there excess oil there then you have most likely got internal problems, when you damage ringlands or something similar the sound of the engine tends to change more to a scooby type sound mate.

~Nick @ Tuning Developments

Lornce

Member +
its possible its running on 3 cylinders.

it could be a spark plug, lead, rotor arm, or some thing a bit more severe

If it was running on 3 cyclinders, i would be able to tell the difference when driving shouldnt i? - as it drives normal, no hesatation when setting off, no jerking etc.

Check around your breather on rocker cover and the dump valve for oil mate, if there excess oil there then you have most likely got internal problems, when you damage ringlands or something similar the sound of the engine tends to change more to a scooby type sound mate.

~Nick @ Tuning Developments

i will have a look and update! - again though, will an internal problem affect the drive because as said it drives normal!

cheers guys + have some rep!:p

sx_turbo

Lifer
If it was running on 3 cyclinders, i would be able to tell the difference when driving shouldnt i? - as it drives normal, no hesatation when setting off, no jerking etc.

i will have a look and update! - again though, will an internal problem affect the drive because as said it drives normal!

cheers guys + have some rep!:p

my piston rings had gone and i was using lots of oil, i assumed it was my turbo that had gone as the car "drove" fine yet made the same noise.

after i spent £250 replacing the turbo, i found out it wasnt

Lornce

Member +
when my ringlands went my car still ran fine, just used lots of oil :p

also i'm not using alot of oil either, not had to top it up since the last oil change (about 2000 kms ago).

so if its not drinking oil, am i correct in saying its nothing internally?

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
when i realised mine has failed, I stop boosting the car, it then stopped using oil.

best bet for piece of mind is to get a compression test done, also have a look round your BOV and oil breather on the rocker cover for signs of oil like Nick said ;)

Chris@CCM

Member +
when my ringlands went my car still ran fine, just used lots of oil :p
was going to say this all the car ive seen with broken ringlands the car ran fine. also as for a compression test they dont all ways show up . last one i did it was
1=175
2=175
3=155
4=175
funny thing is all the ones that came up high were cracked no3 was fine . as mike says they just breath alot when boosting it hard

Last edited:

Lornce

Member +
how much are we talking to get the ringlands replaced?

and what are the ringlands? (i'm not a mechanic! lol)

i will check for signs of oil tonight, just hope to god that i get home, and also that would explain why i'm not using any oil, because i drive like a fairy!

cheers guys for your help!

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
ringlands are the area surrounding the rings on the pistons, rebuild time if they're goosed *cough* forged *cough* hehe

Chris@CCM

Member +
it dose not sounds like ring lands to me bud try posting a vid up of how it sounds first

Last edited:

Lornce

Member +
it donse not sounds like ring lands to me bud try posting a vid up of how it sounds first

i will post a video tonight.........

i hope its not the ringlands or anything internally for that matter, because i havn't got the dough to forge it just yet! :(

Lornce

Member +
right iv been out and checked for oil and theres no oil anywhere.

so i took it for a spin and reliased the loud ticking noise is coming from the gearbox, and it only makes a noise when the clutch is disaganged, i.e at a standstill or in gear!

anyone know what this could be?

sx_turbo

Lifer
right iv been out and checked for oil and theres no oil anywhere.

so i took it for a spin and reliased the loud ticking noise is coming from the gearbox, and it only makes a noise when the clutch is disaganged, i.e at a standstill or in gear!

anyone know what this could be?

replace clutch.

sounds like the release bearing is starting to fail