need a bit of help guys hope someone can help me decide

Right guys basically i have just fitted a hybrid turbo and lightweight fidanza flywheel to my gt and im looking to get the fueling set up properly as i dont want it to be running lean.

I have been offered a apexi safc for 70 quid its the one with the 4 arrow buttons on it but i was wondering weather to get that or to save up and get some form of piggy back ecu.

I have decided i dont want to go for a emanage because i have heard a few bad stories about them i just need some advice on weather to save a bit and get an ecu or get the fuel controller put in.

hope you can help guys

Craig

thefalls

Member +
A cheap fix would be the fuel controller.But if you save up and get a piggy back then it would be better
plus you can control ignition as well.
The way i see it,modding is continuous process,somewhere down the line you will need the piggy back.
You will also need an fpr with the fuel controller as you have to raise the fuel pressure to be able to trim it.
Whereas with the piggy back you wont have to get an fpr.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
I would buy the apexi now so you can get the fuel set right, then save up for a ecu, when ya get close enough and have found an ecu sell the apexi to make up the funds...

glanzanut

Lifer
well you could buy just a rrfpr just now, set it slihtly rich, and put the money you would have spend on a safc towards managment?

Jay

Admin
It's normally best practice to up the fuelling to a safe and rich point with a RRFR then use the likes of a SAFC to lean out the mix where necessary. This provides a mechanical safety net in case something goes amiss with your electronics.

Case and point : Somhairle's old GT suffered engine damage when his SAFC stopped working and the car was left with stock fuelling on a Hybrid turbo. The lean condition melted a piston.

You could up the fuelling with the SAFC but I'd choose the mechanical method myself.

Safety first.

glanzanut

Lifer
can a safc up fuelling jay? i always thought they could just lean out? im not doubting you im just curious? :)

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Case and point : Somhairle's old GT suffered engine damage when his SAFC stopped working and the car was left with stock fuelling on a Hybrid turbo. The lean condition melted a piston.

Do you need any fueling mods with a ct9 hybrid turbo or will stock be ok???

dac69er

Super Moderator
can a safc up fuelling jay? i always thought they could just lean out? im not doubting you im just curious? :)

as far as i can see it cannot up the fuelling past fuel cut levels, but it can throughout the rest of the range. it is essentially altering the map sensor reading to trick the ecu into thinking the car is boosting higher than it actually is, therefore it will fuel higher. i would assume that if you adjusted it too much up the top end of things with a safc then it would just hit fuel cut as you would be telling the ecu that the car is boosting higher?

as jay said, increase fuelling up the top end with a rrfpr and then tweak everything back down along the rest of the range with an safc. i cannot see you being able to do it any other way myself???

Jay

Admin
Do you need any fueling mods with a ct9 hybrid turbo or will stock be ok???

Depends on the car, components and boost levels. The only way to be sure of anything is with a wideband and det-cans.

I ran a GT-spec Tongs hybrid on stock fuelling @ .85 bar of boost for a while but that doesn't mean everyone else can. For example I saw a similar setup last month that was detting it's tits off. Always err to the side of caution or it's game over for your engine and the contents of your wallet..

Jay

Admin

The old skool SAFC allowed airflow signal adjustment of 30% either way so yes you could trick the ECU to increase fuelling. Haven't used a SAFC II but I'd like to think it would do the same.

I have decided I'm going to get a dastek unichip piggy back ecu and get it all mapped up and ready to go that way :) she will be ready for td04 then in the future thanks for all the help guys :)

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Depends on the car, components and boost levels. The only way to be sure of anything is with a wideband and det-cans.

I ran a GT-spec Tongs hybrid on stock fuelling @ .85 bar of boost for a while but that doesn't mean everyone else can. For example I saw a similar setup last month that was detting it's tits off. Always err to the side of caution or it's game over for your engine and the contents of your wallet..

im only running .7 bar on mine atm, so should be safe for now..
What sort of fuel mod's should i be looking for??

Hey craig sorry to spam ya thred dude...