need help guys had really bad news and dont know what to do :(

Right guys basically my starlet went in to re:worx to get a hks fcon fitted and mapped and it all went well in that sense.

BUT and i mean BUT my oil light on my dash began to flicker on when the oil was hot at first we thought it may had been to do with having a to thinner ol in it so we changed it for 10w 40 full synthetic, but the problem still persuisted now they said it could be my bottom end on the way out :( does that sound about right to you guys??

Also if it is the bottom end is it worth going forged or just re building it on standard toyota parts? how much rougly are the standard bits to do it?

Last thing I have a hybrid turbo and a 1 bar it only made 182 :S i have seen others on here get more impressive figures than that and the guy who i brought the turbo off said he made 218 bhp at 1.3 bar can that 0.3 of a br make that much difference???

I have just really got to my wits end with the car I keep spending money on it and it seems that its 1 problem after another :( where do i go from here guys really need some advice and guidence on this one as alot of you guys have probably been there before just want advice from more experienced guys in this matter

Craig

Im not really sure, my revs used to drop low, like 600rpm every now and again and it would come on then but i always presumed it was because of the revs dropping :s i havn't actually seen the light come on myself only re:worx have could be be due to my revs if they are still dropping low??

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'm not a mechanic but my initial thought would be a faulty pressure valve or oil pump. Or even something simple like a blocked pickup.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Mate this cars are bulletproof, don't worry that much, normally it's something very simple! Very very very rare you will have a major issue and most of the time that would be because of the lack of service!

sanchez

Member +
Mate this cars are bulletproof, don't worry that much, normally it's something very simple! Very very very rare you will have a major issue and most of the time that would be because of the lack of service!

Got to disagree with you there tbh mate, these engines are known to lose bottom end bearings.
Has happened to me just like that, botton end gone!!
And recently a mate, was fine one day the next its rattling like a bag of spaners, oil light on, low revs

...So to me does sound like bottom end but could be something else

Rob H

Member +
it could be the pressure switch that is faulty but if the mains or the big end shells are worn that would cause the oil pressure to be low. have you tried a gauge on it? if they are only worn and not damaged you would get away with putting a set of shells in it. We have the same problem with truck engines a lot that have been to the moon and back. I would try a gauge on it first tho and if its not knocking put a set of shells in it (bearings) and go from there!

but as sanchez said I speak with first hand experience the bottom ends are quite weak I did 3 engines with my blitz K24 kit but that was running 1.8bar on a standard engine!

Last edited:

Ben89

Lifer
If your bottom end has gone due to low oil pressure you'll probably find that your turbo will be damaged too, might be worth sending it of for a rebuild while the engine is away!

Right okay well my turbo has only just had a rebuild so that's good I guess lol, well it's not knocking at the moment just when it's at idle when it's hot the light comes on :-/ but the tinyest bit of revs and it goes away, do you think it would be an idea to get a set of shells/bearings and do it now to try and save it?? Or just get the hole bottom end re-built?

whiteglanzav

Member +
Right okay well my turbo has only just had a rebuild so that's good I guess lol, well it's not knocking at the moment just when it's at idle when it's hot the light comes on :-/ but the tinyest bit of revs and it goes away, do you think it would be an idea to get a set of shells/bearings and do it now to try and save it?? Or just get the hole bottom end re-built?

that would be the best idea mate - while your at it you should replace the oil pump

it should cost around £200 for the parts + the labour - it will freshen up your bottom end and you'll be safe knowing thers a new oil pump there too

that would be the best idea mate - while your at it you should replace the oil pump

it should cost around £200 for the parts + the labour - it will freshen up your bottom end and you'll be safe knowing thers a new oil pump there too

So you recon just replace the bearings/shells and get a new oil pump whilst I'm at it could someone please give me a list of the names of the bearing that I should replace? Can Toyota get those parts in?

weeJohn

Lifer
I would replace the 4 big end bearings, the 5 mains bearings and while you have the sump off, change the oil pick up pipe o ring and possibly the oil pressure regulator.

Toyota can get the parts or ACL bearings are pretty good price compared to Toyotas. The pressure reg is a Toyota only part, the o ring is a motor factors 25p job.

have you also checked to make sure the wire connection to the oil pressure unit is secure and has no breaks in it
maybe try a new oil unit as well

Gav_Kara

Member +
Once oil lights come on then damage is done. My old evo did this on rollers. I would forge it with all new shells and defo a oil pump mate.

Texx

Super Moderator
Don't condemn the engine just because the oil light is flickering at idle. You need to check the oil pressure first! Even if that means buying a cheap oil pressure gauge and sender and fitting the sender into the block where the stock pressure switch is located.