need help i made stupic mistake and now suffering for it! frozen car!

BFannon

Member +
went out to car today cleared snow and ice and had a huge brainwave, i hadnt checked coolant for yonks! and low and behold top and bottom rad are kinda frozen! (like a slush puppy) so i have whipped them both off! taken the rad cap off the rad and its the same again! like a slush puppy! the water into the thermostat housing has frozen round the outside! but water in the center of the outlet! is there anyway to quickly thaw it out? have no access to a heated garage! any idea's?

really suffering for a stupid mistake help please!

Bill.

SupaStu

Member +
Put it all back together, and call a taxi ;)

When it thaws, change the coolant for new red Toyota ready mixed coolant from your dealer, around £15 for 5 litres I think.

350ep70gr

Member +
Remove the radiator and take it in house so it can be defrost totaly. Then put it on and add some alcohol (spirit or how you call it) in it with coolant. Then start the car for 2 min or so. Let it for half an hour to cool down(so the ice inside can absorb the heat) and again start it for 2 minutes . It may take you a lot of hours to brake the ice. You need to gradually heat it up so 2 min on ...30 min off and again and again.If the car was totaly covered with snow then it works like an insulator and the inside temperature should not be far from the 0 - 2 celsious.
Dont start it up and wait to reach operating temperature as it could crack your block or throw away some plugs on it for the cooling system.
When you finish after some hours and water is circulating fully and your heater blows hot air.. drain the radiator and put the correct staff in it.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
Put it all back together, and call a taxi ;)

When it thaws, change the coolant for new red Toyota ready mixed coolant from your dealer, around £15 for 5 litres I think.

It is kinda bad to leave it as it is...till the weather be better.Especially if he has remove the snow from around and under the car. Cold air could freeze his engine at -18 degrees during the night and the expansion of the ice inside could crack or damage the block.

Chris

i wouldn't be to sure about starting it as ull prob destroy ur water pump if the water is frozen round about it and then it build pressure that's not needed
i would do as chris says defrost the radiator and hoses then add warm water with loads of anti freeze and leave it to sit or get it towed to the local garage and let them do there thing

BFannon

Member +
so take both hoses off? defrost them in sink!
take out rad and defrost indoors again!
install them again!
fill with a hot! high conentration of antifreeze water?
then what? leave it and hope it will slowly defrost the internal parts over night?

or is that wrong?

any help rep added!

Bill.

M

MYNameHere

went out to car today cleared snow and ice and had a huge brainwave, i hadnt checked coolant for yonks! and low and behold top and bottom rad are kinda frozen! (like a slush puppy) so i have whipped them both off! taken the rad cap off the rad and its the same again! like a slush puppy! the water into the thermostat housing has frozen round the outside! but water in the center of the outlet! is there anyway to quickly thaw it out? have no access to a heated garage! any idea's?

really suffering for a stupid mistake help please!

Bill.

Wow thats some crazy Freezing! I just added some new coolant to my car feels good to have it freshly in there.

churcherj

Member +
i feel for you mate :( my car is sat at my mates house and has the exact same issue, my radiator is now an ice block. when i changed the rad i didnt have proper collant so used water and stupidly forgot to change it all over :( now my car is probably fucked but just gona let it all defrost naturally and see how i get on

really pissed off about this and im annoyed ive been so stupid tbh as i really do take care of everything else regulary and cant believe i forgot this!

where are the core plugs on these? isit a case of taking the whole engine out to replace them in the block or check them?

im going to get a heater and thaw it all out naturally and see how it is....probably looking at a new engine i rekon, so pissed off right now

Last edited:

danb87

South East England Area Rep
i feel for you mate :( my car is sat at my mates house and has the exact same issue, my radiator is now an ice block. when i changed the rad i didnt have proper collant so used water and stupidly forgot to change it all over :( now my car is probably fucked but just gona let it all defrost naturally and see how i get on

really pissed off about this and im annoyed ive been so stupid tbh as i really do take care of everything else regulary and cant believe i forgot this!

where are the core plugs on these? isit a case of taking the whole engine out to replace them in the block or check them?

im going to get a heater and thaw it all out naturally and see how it is....probably looking at a new engine i rekon, so pissed off right now

seems this is becoming quite trendy. seen simialr things on a few other forums. i have a habbit off replacing the coolant every 1000 miles. or every 6-8 weeks. i did it during october so mine should be fine now until after xmas.

sorry too hear it mate, lets hope its no that serious.

BFannon

Member +
yea me too mate i am normally so anal about things like this its unreal! but i dont know how i looked over it! all i know is i am suffering for it now!

how will i know if the water pump is frozen? should i be able to turn all the belts over by hand?

so far mum isn't happy as rad is sitting in bottom of bath defrosting!

could i disconnect the water pump belt and start car on tick over for a couple of minutes try defrosting the internal that way?

or will that do more damage than good?

Bill.

J25GTi

Lifer
I wouldn't do it mate. Defrost it with warm water flushed thru the rad hoses.

I connected a hose pipe to the shower hose and flushed my coolant system out that way when I fitted the new engine

Tony Harrison

Member +
Thank fcuk i read this earlier.

Hadn't realized that i didn't put ANY anti-freeze in the last time i put my turbo back on which was well over a year ago.

I went to check the status of it and luckily it was slush - so i poured warm water into the thermo end and radiator to thaw it out then kept topping up with antifreeze and luckily i got to it in time.

Lest be this a lesson to all of us i suppose? Less looking at self shot emo teens and more checking anti-freeze levels!!

J25GTi

Lifer
Thank fcuk i read this earlier.

Hadn't realized that i didn't put ANY anti-freeze in the last time i put my turbo back on which was well over a year ago.

I went to check the status of it and luckily it was slush - so i poured warm water into the thermo end and radiator to thaw it out then kept topping up with antifreeze and luckily i got to it in time.

Lest be this a lesson to all of us i suppose? Less looking at self shot emo teens and more checking anti-freeze levels!!

Hahah! I like it!

I'll volunteer to look at self shot semi naked emo's as my car has no engine. So I'll do it for everyone while you all go check your anti freeze ;)

churcherj

Member +
finally got my car sorted today! :) bullet proof toyotas ay :)

had to use a hair dryer to soften up the rad hoses and rad water, then flushed it all through and started it and ran fine and didnt overheat with any leaks. came home did the same again and filled with coolant/anti freeze mix (halfords advanced) as i couldnt get toyota today and started her up and its all good...

luckily like people have said, there was a slight bit of coolant in there as the water was pinkish when i drained it so really it was more like slush than ice, so lesson learned...

remember coolant!

Rory

Lifer
Son... ?

The way i see things like this is stupidity
If you know your going to have to fill the rad, then surely buy coolant before hand ;)
Or is that to hard to think about? :haha:

BFannon

Member +
but how will i know if the water in or around the water pump is frozen? will all the belts should they turn by hand? supossed to be about 3-4 degree's C tomoz so hope it might thaw out tomorrow! but should the pump turn by hand? if not should i try a hair dryer? but worried about warming it up too fast? incase that causes cracking?

Bill.