**Need legal help**

Hi Guys,

I need some legal advice, I know it was stupid but was a bad time for me. So anyway I drove my car without having a licence as I hadnt passed my test yet, I was insured, car was taxed and NCT'd.
Anyway I was pulled over by the cops and recieved a caution and asked to produce my insurance etc in the cop station, they advised me due to my circumstances and what was going on in my life that I would get a formal caution from a senior officer.
Anyway I recieved a summons for court for offence of driving without a valid driving license from the prosecution office.
Good side is that I went after that and got my full driving license, now what I want to know is, what kind of fine/points am I looking at? Secondly can you go for a bigger fine to avoid points? Or any other general advice you could give would be great.
Thanks Christy

gv1.3

Admin
not sure how they can give you point on your license for not having a license?

Id say it will probably be a ban or a fine maybe.

If I were you I would get something from work stating you need a license to carry out your duties... they will probably be less likely to ban you if it means it will cost you your job.

kLuTz

Member +
Well if you read my thread mate ive just been in court and il be honest with you its not a very nice experience the only thing that's on your side is that as far as im ware its your first driving conviction unlike me ;) but then the what's also against you and this is what the barrister will most proberley say is that you had no buisness on the public roads. Even though you were insured it was void due to the fact you shouldnt of been driving its a tricky one! im sorry that i havent really helped but let us know what happen's in court! (finger's crossed)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
they can give you points, as it will go on your provisional, and then it goes onto your full lisence when you get one.

it really depends wat kinda judge you get i guess, they can decide wat they hell they want it seems!

but i would amagine either a ban, or youll get 3 points and a fine i would amagine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Aye I have a full license now, see I want to try not to get the points because at the least it will be 3 points and if I get 6 points when im still restricted then I lose my license.
I really cant see me getting a ban to be honest I think thats way too harsh. Any more thoughts?
Christy

Ryno

Member +
when you say you were insured, how is that when you didn't have a full licence? if you wern't supervised then you best check your insurance as it will probs be void under what you did.....which could also land you with driving without insurance.

best thing you can do is be honest and put it all down in your mitigating circumstances.

obviously if you need your licence for work/education then make sure you state that as it might help you keep it!

dosn't look good tho tbh

when you say you were insured, how is that when you didn't have a full licence? if you wern't supervised then you best check your insurance as it will probs be void under what you did.....which could also land you with driving without insurance.

best thing you can do is be honest and put it all down in your mitigating circumstances.

obviously if you need your licence for work/education then make sure you state that as it might help you keep it!

dosn't look good tho tbh

Because I took an insurance policy out under my mums name with me as a named driving on a provisional licence. I was insured but didnt have a qualified driver with me, which I know makes the insurance void but you know what I mean by insured.
Aye I think im going to try and avoid court put down my circumstances and need for the car and plead guilty by post and hope for the best :)
Christy

Ryno

Member +
is there a specific reason your doing it by post and not attending? can't afford to take the time off work? in hopsital? exams?

personally i would attend in person unless i had no other choice, might help the magistrate see how seriously you take the offence and that your interested in keeping your licence (obviously that is just my opinion)

Mo_GT

Member +
its happened to a friend of mine in the past and he got 6 points on his licence which meant he lost his licence and a fine. it all depends on the judge at the time if he wants to do you over he will give you the 6 points for not being insured and not having a licence unless he has had a good night before then he might just let you off with a fine. from what i have heard from people in the past they usually give you 6 points and a fine

liam2368

Member +
a friend of mine had this he got pulled over 6days before he passed his test

7months later he went to court for no liscence or insurance he got 6points and a £300 but he kept his liscence somehow, he drove a scooter for 2 years before hand so im not sure how that worked out

Adam_Glanza

Member +
to be honest i dont know why people do that, 6 days before his test?

people need to be patient jesus lol now thats fucked him up big time!!

to be honest dont expect anything less than a ban, if your dumb enough to drive uninsured ( and yes because you had named driver under provisional that still means you ARENT insured to drive yourself ) doesnt mean you can lol. like some 1 already said it would be 3 points for no lisence, and 3 points for insurance. unless you get very lucky i cant see you escaping it

I dont think you`l get a ban of such more of a disqualification until you pass your test again so basically your a learner and need to do it all again however could be worse could be better depends on judge.

Firstly a would get a lawyer on to the case he will advise you the best way to plead guilty but a think in person would be better.

Its a silly mistake to make and learn from it and not do anything as daft again

Good luck

Phenom

Member +
Its a silly mistake to make and learn from

Mistake my arse....................
Knowingly driving without a full licence or insurance cannot be classed as a MISTAKE.
Luckily u didn't have an accident or harm anyone (more luck than judgmemt no dought) That would have f++ked ur life forever.
They will deal with u as they see fit.
If that meanz a BAN - tuff shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:homer:

like some 1 already said it would be 3 points for no lisence, and 3 points for insurance. unless you get very lucky i cant see you escaping it

Its 9 points you get driving without insurance

True hes an idiot for driving without a licence but it can still be classified as a mistake.. a mistake is an error you make and to be honest imo as say hes made a pretty damm big error

gv1.3

Admin
important question here: you say the car was NCT'd so is it an Irish car and were you stopped in Ireland?

If so when you say you had no license does this mean you didnt have a provisional license either?

Ive never heard of anyone being taken to court for driving on a provisional license before?!? And if you have been then it will just be a tap on the wrist. If you dont have ANY license... well now... thats a different matter totally.

Ryno

Member +
Its 9 points you get driving without insurance

not in Surrey :p

but as it's a court hearing it depends on the magistrate on the day, they have the power to do pretty much what they like, they do have guidelines but that's not so clear cut as you did **** so you get ***!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments but some of you are seriously in the wrong, as you can see I live in Southern Ireland and there you are allowed to drive on a provisional license (unaccompanied) when your insured, I was stopped by the Garda and they said nothing and let me drive on.
The stupid mistake I made which most people in the South of Ireland do is think I was also allowed to drive on a provisonal in Northern Ireland whereas your not but alot of people do.
I know is was my mistake and I should pay for it but surely losing my license wouldnt be the correct thing. My reasoning behind this is because straight after I was stopped I went and got my driving license, so surely taht shows I have learnt my lesson and there is no chance of me doing this again if I still ahve my license. Secondly surely taking my license off me is tempting me to do it again....which I wont, obviously.
Christy

gv1.3

Admin
how can they bring you to court in the North? If it were me I just wouldnt go.

They are hardly going to extradite you for driving without a full license???!?!

Also if your license is an Irish license how can a UK court ban you?

Im not understanding this at all.

how can they bring you to court in the North? If it were me I just wouldnt go.

They are hardly going to extradite you for driving without a full license???!?!

Also if your license is an Irish license how can a UK court ban you?

Im not understanding this at all.

Tell me about it its gets more and more complicated.haha.
I dont have a southern licnece now, due to the long wating list for the test down south i went up North to do my test, so have a European licence which obtained up North, thats how they can ban me or give me points.
I am now currently living in the South permanently so I was thinking about changing my licence from North to the South so they cant ban me. Does that make sense. And I know I dont need to attend court as im from the South but I dont want to get a warrant out for my arrest.
Christy