Need sum help

hookie663

Member +
Portable mot boys pulled me and done me on few ting which I've near sorted one of problems was air bag light I've race wheel but ave an air bag on pas anger side how do I get that air bag light off but work wen turn ignition on? Any help wud be great lads

dac69er

Super Moderator
there will be some way you can link the plug on the drivers side airbag connector. whether it is looking for a straight link or a resistance i am unsure. do a little research on google and see.

do you still have the airbag? could try measuring it with a multimeter and see what reading you get!?!?

nistarbo

Member +
Im not sure if its the same as above but one time on a car I had my autospark put a timer on the light itself for m.o.t so that when the ignition came on the light went out after 5 seconds. Or maybe wire it to the ignition so that when you turn the ignition on it will be on and then go off when you start the car.
Was it d.o.e that stoped you?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Im not sure if its the same as above but one time on a car I had my autospark put a timer on the light itself for m.o.t so that when the ignition came on the light went out after 5 seconds. Or maybe wire it to the ignition so that when you turn the ignition on it will be on and then go off when you start the car.
Was it d.o.e that stoped you?

If you trick the airbag control unit into thinking the airbag is there the system will function normally. Ie, the passenger airbag and (if fitted) seatbelt tentioners will go off as usual. The self check when the ignition comes on will also work as normal.

You can stick a timer in to make the light come on, but if you can get away with cheating the system (if the airbag has been removed) then that is a far better way. Plus a link is easier to fit than a timer relay for the dash light ;)

5e colin

Member +
get rid of all the airbags and just tap the wire from airbag on the clocks into the wire from engine management light so the abs light is just a engine management light

weeJohn

Lifer
Found this in a Starlet workshop manual, looks like disconnecting the plugs from the air bags and seat belt tensioners is what causes the problem. The plug has a device inside it which shorts the 2 connections together and shows the item is missing, I think anything you do will not work unless you cut the unplugged plugs off. If you still have your old air bag, I would put a meter across the 2 connections at the steering wheel airbag connections, see what resistance is there, if none, cut the plug off the loom, tape up the 2 wires seperately and see what happens. I would disconnect the battery and leave it for 5 minutes before doing any cutting. If there is a resistance accross the air bag connections, cut the plug off and put the same size resistor on there. The only other option to cutting the plug off is plugging the air bag plug into it and doing the connections the other side, but that renders the old air bag useless.

I dont have any airbags in my car so I cant do this myself and tell you exactly what needs done, sorry. But its a good one to work on. There may be the possibility of working out how every EP could be sorted if something could be made to plug into the airbag loom plug when removing steering wheels so the system still works.

20130830_1150071.jpg

hookie663

Member +
firstly i wana tank all yous lads for the reply and help much appriciated! ive actualy left the problem in jays hands lol how nice of me so ive passed all on so hopfully we get sumting sorted lads many thanks andrew

Jay

Admin
Aye. It will be my job to figure this one out. Or to spend most of tomorrow standing next to the car swearing.

I'll update with an outcome.

Smokey

Fresh Recruit
If its an ep91 with a squib then I've a lad here that plugs into it so the light works as it should with a replacement wheel!
I got it out of a breakers a while back but didn't need it for my car cos I've no squib to my airbag wheel so have no airbag light issue after I put in a new wheel!

Not really tryin to sell it either but if a loan of it was needed then it'd prob help find out what's needed for anyone else with the same problem!