Need turbo help, wobbley compressor housing!!!

churcherj

Member +
got my car mapped today, after mapping my intercooler pipe blew off so i took it back and they noticed my whole turbo wobbles, like the compressor housing has come out of line or something which has probably ruined my turbo as its all out of balance! looks like a rebuild of the turbo or get another one. they rekon the O ring behind the turbo has snapped, it wasnt like this when it was rotated tho so not sure how that could of happened? any ideas and what do you think i should do now?

glanzanut

Lifer
is the compressor wheel moving you mean? if so it will be the bearings. if its a ct9 your best bet is to buy another mate as they arent expensive bud

churcherj

Member +
is the compressor wheel moving you mean? if so it will be the bearings. if its a ct9 your best bet is to buy another mate as they arent expensive bud

its a td04 mate, its not the wheel, its literally the whole housing, not the exhaust housing but compressor, like can move side to side? he said its the o ring rubber thingy behind which keeps it in place, but cant see how this could have gone? i know td04s are cheap to get, but dont want the hassle of rotating it again and risk doing the same thing! plus my td04 had such low mileage and was like brand new when i got it!

churcherj

Member +
Its a td04 and not the foggiest mate. I'm sorry!

Good result though!

cheers dude :) was happy with 218 at 0.88 bar! on the road it feels good obviously the load is different on the real road than dyno so they said expect boost to rise slightly

kieran.s gt

Member +
its a td04 mate, its not the wheel, its literally the whole housing, not the exhaust housing but compressor, like can move side to side? he said its the o ring rubber thingy behind which keeps it in place, but cant see how this could have gone? i know td04s are cheap to get, but dont want the hassle of rotating it again and risk doing the same thing! plus my td04 had such low mileage and was like brand new when i got it!

has the big circlip come off that holds the housing in place ?

churcherj

Member +
has the big circlip come off that holds the housing in place ?

not sure bud, havent stripped it all down yet. It does appear that either the circlip or big O ring has gone, consequently causing my turbo to wobble around! its probably knackered now, not sure how long its been like this but all the internals are probably ruined :(

churcherj

Member +
been offered a td04 from a UK scooby year 2000, but he said it just says td04, is there a difference between the td04 and td04L which i currently have? swear the td04l is newer off like the 04 wrx's etc

churcherj

Member +
Yeah there are a few variants. Needs to be an L

ye i thought soo mate, just been offered one from a 57 plate wrx with 20k miles for £50 so think im gona take that! just worried about rotating it and breaking an O ring or seal or something! cant understand how this has happened as it certainly wasnt like that when we fitted it! any ideas?

ep91steve

Member +
There it is there
ecf53ae7.jpg

churcherj

Member +
I don't see how it could have broken! Seems odd! I'm worried about mine now!

i know mate its really strange, im gona strip it down soon and see whats what! only issue i have is bloody rotating the new turbo, hopefully my mate shorty will do it for me :) its really annoying that my intercooler pipe pops off aswell as this, so didnt even get a chance to give my new setup a good boost :(!

churcherj

Member +
ive just gone and checked the turbo etc i cant get the housing to move at all, even if i pull it side to side alot :S quite confused what they mean, seems sturdy as anything to me! he did say tho if it goes it will just be the turbo so may just see how it goes,

J25GTi

Lifer
If it goes? Sounds dodgy to me!

If the compressor housing moves and smashes the turbine blades you could effectively trash your engine. Hopefully the fmic will catch the shards, but who knows.

So the housing etc isn't moving? Can you get to the blades, do they have a lot of play?

churcherj

Member +
If it goes? Sounds dodgy to me!

If the compressor housing moves and smashes the turbine blades you could effectively trash your engine. Hopefully the fmic will catch the shards, but who knows.

So the housing etc isn't moving? Can you get to the blades, do they have a lot of play?

ye i know but i cant seem to see any play whatsoever, ye ive taken off my filter and no play at all in the blades? really struggling to see what they meant, surely they know what they are on about tho! it may have been like this for ages, i wouldnt have noticed tbh!

churcherj

Member +
Did you see what they were doing when they said it?

ye they were just putting my intercooler pipe back on, the bit that goes off the turbo, and it was moving slightly, i was even watching and could see it, and ive just tried and it wont move at all, this is really strange mate!