new back box law in ireland

nuggie

Member +
thar is a new law comeing in to play in ireland soon.easily known the old farts in the dail are trying to make ower lives harder by bringing in an other law which will even make it harder to mod cars.

the law is that no car will be allowed pass an nct(mot) if it dosent have the factory exhaust.
what do ye tink about that.
its only amatter of time befor it will be put in place every where else.

Craig

Lifer
Car will fail MOT if it has an aftermarket exhaust is what I believe he is trying to say lol.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
a new law banning sports exhausts...

it will be based on decibals probably and they won't enforce it too heavily seeing as its because of annoyance..typical,don't cut the drink drive to zero tolerance but make exhausts illegal becausee there annoying..fuking irish goverment are a joke

nuggie

Member +
from the info i have goten so far if it isn't the standard exhaust that the manufactures
fits to the car it will fail the nct.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
the usuall backwardness of the irish government, I'm all for baning stupidly loud exhausts but a blanket ban on non-stanard exhausts is just stupidity,

My exhaust is not loud, main reason is i live in an estate and i don't want to piss off the neighbours, on idle the fathers Avensis is louder

nuggie

Member +
i dono man the government is gone to hell.
thay see us spending money on ower cars and tink it will be better off in there pockets.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
is it not better in our cars than drugs??? ican't see it being inforced too heavily...i'm all for a decibal level but a complete ban won't work

Jay

Admin
Guess I better keep a few standard backboxes aside in case you fellas need a loan of one.

jay88

Member +
Wasn't really going to last forever anyway lads in fairness. And as it's based on decibals, most exhaust within reason should pass. Some exhaust's out there are ridiculous, and I even as a "boy racer" prefered name "car enthusiast", can appreciate. Straight through's and the likes should be kept for the track in my opinion. There's a big enviromental factor and noise pollution factor here. Any decent exhaust produced by a good company ie 5zigen, apexi,hks, spoon, I should think will pass the test as these company should be complying with EU laws any way. But buying a cheap backbox and cutting out your middlebox and gutting your cat obviously won't pass, it's not right and shouldn't. But systems costing big money should, you pay for what you get. Don't think modifying cars is about noise anyway but performance. Not the end of the world anyway as you can just put factory parts back on for NCT and take them off afterwards. I know lads with seriously tuned engines running throttle bodies etc, that haven't a hope passing emmissions, just putting factory engines in to pass. We've alot to blame on the people living around us anyway, the wankers driving through towns, reving the shite out of there shitboxes through gears. A good powerful car doesn't need to be driven hard to be appreciated. Anyway I think it's time for me to end my rant and longest post ever. That's just my two cent's, you can agree or dis agree. I believe the decibal test is in place in Scotland, would be helpful to hear from some members from there.

Thanks Jason

SaRfI

Member +
is this law passed or they thinking to bring this on ??

i heared about loadz of these stupid laws but they never passed .

for EG. the car wont pass nct if you have tinted windows GUESS WAT i went for an NCT and passed with tinted windows ;).

the goverment is lost how to do thier work SOME ONE SHOULD TELL THEM how to do their job.

get the chavs oFF the road and leave us decent people ALONE :p

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Wasn't really going to last forever anyway lads in fairness. And as it's based on decibals, most exhaust within reason should pass. Some exhaust's out there are ridiculous, and I even as a "boy racer" prefered name "car enthusiast", can appreciate. Straight through's and the likes should be kept for the track in my opinion. There's a big enviromental factor and noise pollution factor here. Any decent exhaust produced by a good company ie 5zigen, apexi,hks, spoon, I should think will pass the test as these company should be complying with EU laws any way. But buying a cheap backbox and cutting out your middlebox and gutting your cat obviously won't pass, it's not right and shouldn't. But systems costing big money should, you pay for what you get. Don't think modifying cars is about noise anyway but performance. Not the end of the world anyway as you can just put factory parts back on for NCT and take them off afterwards. I know lads with seriously tuned engines running throttle bodies etc, that haven't a hope passing emmissions, just putting factory engines in to pass. We've alot to blame on the people living around us anyway, the wankers driving through towns, reving the shite out of there shitboxes through gears. A good powerful car doesn't need to be driven hard to be appreciated. Anyway I think it's time for me to end my rant and longest post ever. That's just my two cent's, you can agree or dis agree. I believe the decibal test is in place in Scotland, would be helpful to hear from some members from there.

Thanks Jason

i agree totally with you lad

thechomper

Member +
as far as i know it is a european law,and is supposed to be inforced in all EU countrys,but there will be to many loop holes and will be impossible to inforce,it is a noise pollution law,but they have not said anything about motorbikes

Last edited:

davehart

Member +
This is a silly law if it gest past.

Why not just have a noise level as I'm sure a few new sports cars have a loud rear box, louder than a custom built system.

I think laws like this try punish people who just want a nice looking, decent sounding and not stupidly loud system.

Its not law yet though as they will have to go through the legal processes I'm sure.

thechomper

Member +
thats exactly the thing,there will be so many loop holes,as many new powerful cars have very loud exhausts,so what will they do stop selling them or change the way the car is desinged, motorbikes will also have to fall into to this as it would be discrimation,and they also cause alot more nosie pollution then most cars