New here, teach meee. Also what to buy?

tobiah

Member +
Hi there I'm new here and don't know a lot about cars but would love to learn...

I was thinking of getting my own car in june but its now looking like the end of the year november december when I'm 22 and been driving for 2yrs... (cheaper insurance)

I want something fast primarily and not too expensive. Something with 0-60 of below 9 (lower the better of course)

On my current list are the following...

Toyota GT turbo starlet
fiat punto hgt
ibiza cupra gti 16v
astra sri 2.2
Fiat stilo abarth 2.4

I kno the starlet will slay all of them but bearing in mind I'm not very experienced with caring for cars etc how hard are they to look after and would you recommend it over the others?

also what's the mpg and general running costs like? how often do they need servicing and how much does this cost?

thanks for your help and sorry for my lack of knowledge...

also what should I look for when buying a used starlet gt turbo...

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Welcome to the site mate.
Well the starlet is a good reliable car, needs servicing around every 3 months or so, costs around £125 for a full service, depends where you go mate.
Id say the car does about 35 MPG if you arnt booting it etc. Costs me about £36 for a full tank down here of Super Unleaded which is what your gonna need to run this on as the fuel in jap land is higher octane, so u need to put that in. About buying one, speak to the traders on this site who are all very helpful and will point you in the direction of a good GT/Glanza. Hope this has helped with a coupe of bits mate.
Enjoy the site and absorb all the knowlege you can lol :gt-logo

tobiah

Member +
thanks for the info re petrol.

so would the car suffer problems if run on standard fuel?

would I need any extra knowledge to run this car than any other car and how much should I expect to pay for a gt turbo

theres quite few nice looking ones on ebay at moment around the 2500 to 2700 mark....

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I would say you could probably run the car on regular fuel (might be slightly down on power though), if its modified and running higher boost however you will need better quality fuel.

Nwimie

Member +
just becarefull when buying cars if you dont know much about them get a mechanic or evan the RAC or AA do checks on cars health for about £30 well worth it imo.

welcome to the site mate.

sx_turbo

Lifer
hi fella and welcome.

first off good choice for thinking of a starlet. first off they are getting on a bit now but being toyota they are generally reliable.

When looking for a gt/glanza i would advise getting a standard example, with some suspension mods exhaust and wheels. i say this as if you buy a modded one and dont really know much about cars, you could easily fall into the trap of getting a poorly tuned example.

From the list of cars you have listed i would stay away from the 2 italian cars you have put. I say this as italian cars generally have poor reliability.

i also strongly recomend you do as much research as you possibly can about each car and find out the common faults with each, and what you should look out for when going to view each car.

tobiah

Member +
thanks for the tips... do you have anything to look out for re the gt turbo. i was looking for a comprehensive list on here but couldnt find anything...

also how hard is modding the motor myself for a newb?