NEW PB 13.2sec CT9B turbo

finx

Member +
Yesterday was my first drag meeting of the season over here in the old ep71 at the annual 4andRotory Nationals

the plan was to have the purpose build drag car out but issues with the ecu the day before stopped that from happening. so i got the ep71 out dubbed "0BLTR8" and set about getting it ready for a qauter mile assault. threw it on the trailer and away we went to Fram Autolite Dragway here in NZ

the moring was ruff, weather was rubbish and it rained off and on until 1pm which meant i was only able to get one practice run in which consisted of a 13.68@ 99mph with a 2.1 60ft. it was a good start eclipsing my pervious PB of 13.75 and i knew that it had more in it if only the weather would play its part.

luckily it did and after 1.30pm the clouds cleared and the sun came out for a ripper afternoon.

straight into knock outs i bettered my PB again with a 13.5sec run beating a turbo s14 nissan silvia

round 2 and the inevitable happend and i was beaten, as i had registered to race in the 2WD turbo class with the other car so i had to compete in that class in my ep71. this class is one of the fiercest in competition street class's with 3/4 of the cars being rwd 10-12sec street cars.

this didnt stop me from continuing on in the grudge racing class in between knock outs.this is where you can race you mates for bragging rites or just race others that have been eliminated but want to continue racing.

next run i made a few adjustments to my launch and it payed off. reaching another new PB and smashing the newest one to now record a best of 13.258sec @100.87 MPH with a 2.0 60ft
this was the 1st time the ep71 had done a 100MPH trap speed! stoked as

at this stage i was more than happy with the days achievements. but there was more to come. on the very next run i betterd my time again with a 13.236 @101.21mph and a 1.991 60FT
this was the 1st and only time the car has done a sub 2.0 60FT time to date

managing 7 runs in total all were in the 13sec bracket. the 1st time the car has done this as well recording 13.6, 13.5, 13.2, 13.2, 13.7, 13.3 and 13.4 respectively

when i get access to a camera ill upload a pic of the time slip and some of the car.

pics from the daY here on the NZ starlet site : http://forums.starletcentral.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10640&start=0

cheers
Ryan

Last edited:

Fro

Member +
Think you have to be a member to view the pics.
I went to a drag racing day when i was in new zealand, was a track near christchurch that had a strip there too, was fucking savage, nothing like i expected! There was a CRAZY fast white rx7 running circa 900bhp :eek: best drag day ive ever been too, was proper drag cars there too :rockon:

On topic. . .Good time btw, well done :beer:

finx

Member +
yea you will have to register to see pics but its free and easy.
theres some wicked pics of allot of the pro import cars there as well as some of my own car. (thanks to my brother)

we are fairly lucky down here to have both competitive import and v8 drag events regularly over the summer season. there is allot of cars in NZ that hold world records, especially imports.

thanks mate. its been a long time coming (last 2 years building and running the car over 14 meets and 60-70 passes) to get to where it is now.

i dont want to come across to be big headed, but i would like some opinions. as far as i can find would this be a new world record for a stock ct9? i cant find any faster recorded times...

cheers
Ryan

Ben89

Lifer
well done man, thats a great result, i'l be hitting santa pod up a fair bit over the summer, i wont be getting no where near the times you do though.
Good luck on frther beating you personal best!!!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Would never happen over in the UK. Can you compare your time to other cars? what do most EP82 CT9's get over on your track? That would give a better idea how quick it is :)

finx

Member +
cheers for the complements guys.

yea wasnt happy about not getting much practice time but thats the way it goes some times.

Ben89: let us know how you get on.

car was last dyno'd in September 09 and made 110 wheel kilowatt so + - 150 wheel HP. i made a few minor changes before this meet which increased traps by 2mph and id say adding around another 10-15hp

nah no nitrous. yet...

track isnt bad but its not as good as you might think. i dont get any where near the same kind of 60ft times that Alf and the likes of others in the states or malta do. its all down to car set up more than anything else, its taken me allot of time and runs to get it right.

im by far the quickst ct9 in NZ now. next fastest ct9 car that im aware of on that track is 14.5sec. generally they run high 14s-low 15s

Last edited:

Fatman

Member +
Here's a video of the 13.23 run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkLhyygORdI

and an incar shot of the 13.28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtO5OnWd3Zc

Track was well prepared being that it was one of the biggest import drag racing events of the season but it had been raining on and of all day, conditions were far from ideal, car has previously run very similar 60' times on street tires with relatively bad track conditions, there's absolutely no reason that his results couldn't be replicated at santa pod with some practice (based on the many other quick cars I have seen on that track)

A lot of effort has gone into getting the car to where it is today, it might be still a standard CT9 and still virtually standard boost but a lot more goes into a car than those basic stats!

Ted

Member +
great result mate but those terminal speeds must be off, last time out i had a 13.2 with a 2sec 60 ft and was doing 112 past the post. maybe im missing the way it works:homer:

Fatman

Member +
great result mate but those terminal speeds must be off, last time out i had a 13.2 with a 2sec 60 ft and was doing 112 past the post. maybe im missing the way it works:homer:

Purely the difference in shift speed can make the difference in traps required for a time, I can vouch that finx can bang gears with the best of them. I can assure you that the trap speeds are correct and it was definitely no fluke, likewise the track isn't downhill, the timing gear is to world wide standard and the track is a professional venue. Abuse your gearbox some more and you might just see those times tumble!

Fatman

Member +
Backing it up, finx went slightly faster with a 13.22 @100mph, 1.95 60' last weekend, more racing tonight!

weeJohn

Lifer
Purely the difference in shift speed can make the difference in traps required for a time, I can vouch that finx can bang gears with the best of them. I can assure you that the trap speeds are correct and it was definitely no fluke, likewise the track isn't downhill, the timing gear is to world wide standard and the track is a professional venue. Abuse your gearbox some more and you might just see those times tumble!

I think its finxs LOWER trap speed Ted is talking about.

I was led to believe a good 60ft time raises your terminal speed, I to think these good ET`s and 60fts would produce a higher trap speed.

Is it gearing that would affect his terminal speed?

GP82

Member +
The cleaner your run is, so no spinning up, clean 60 feet, car moving down the strip in a straight line etc, the lower you terminal speed will be. If there is alot of action on launch and you spin, break traction and not make good progress on your 60 feet, you will end up with a higher terminal speed as you have more distance to accelerate because you have not progressed as well. I to was confused with this, but it made sense after watching the same cars go down the strip with varying 60 feet times resulting in different terminals.

That is a very good time Finx, well done, great achievement! Your car is dialled in great to get this result. I have set myself a challenge to get into 13 sec et with a ct9 (13.9 will even do), best i have managed is a 14.5, but i am missing some vital components, suspension, diff, then to test with practice runs and dial the car in for a good launch.

Some other thing's i picked up from friends who are drag strip addicted; .1 sec off your 60 feet = .3 sec off your et, 10kg in weight reduction = .1 sec of you et, don't know how true this is thou?

Ted

Member +
still cant work out how i need 112mph to do a 13.2 with an identical 60ft time? i can only conclude that your track is shorter(cue argument!)

finx

Member +
cheers for the complements guys.

backed it up again on Friday night with 2 more 13.2 second runs. 7 runs in total at a cold night meeting and all were between 13.4 and 13.2sec. i have got the car dialed in to the point where its going to be very hard to get it much faster without some more power. so im going to make some changes before the next meeting (NEXT WEEKEND!) so i can try hunt down a 12sec run.

what gp82 is saying correct. the less wheel spin you get/the faster you get out of the hole and through the 1st 60ft generally you will have a slightly lower trap or terminal speed than a run with a worse launch and heeps of spin.

ted: track is defiantly not shorter. its a full spec international drag strip which is home to numerous world records especially in import drag racing.

extra trap speed that you have could be taken up by quite a few things. wheel spin will mean a much higher terminal speed but the same times. slow gear changes or even falling off boost between gears can add a hell of a lot of time to your ET as well. there are heeps of variables.
if you watch the vid where the gauges fall out of the dash from the shock when i hit 2nd gear that gives you an indication of how fast you need to change to get a good time. i could take a bit more time off the shifts but i dont want to risk braking the car it takes a punishing enough as it is.

any questions guys just ask, happy to answer queerys and spec or what ever on the car.

cheers
ryan

Last edited:

finx

Member +
The cleaner your run is, so no spinning up, clean 60 feet, car moving down the strip in a straight line etc, the lower you terminal speed will be. If there is alot of action on launch and you spin, break traction and not make good progress on your 60 feet, you will end up with a higher terminal speed as you have more distance to accelerate because you have not progressed as well. I to was confused with this, but it made sense after watching the same cars go down the strip with varying 60 feet times resulting in different terminals.

That is a very good time Finx, well done, great achievement! Your car is dialled in great to get this result. I have set myself a challenge to get into 13 sec et with a ct9 (13.9 will even do), best i have managed is a 14.5, but i am missing some vital components, suspension, diff, then to test with practice runs and dial the car in for a good launch.

Some other thing's i picked up from friends who are drag strip addicted; .1 sec off your 60 feet = .3 sec off your et, 10kg in weight reduction = .1 sec of you et, don't know how true this is thou?

post up your current best time in the ct9 quarter mile thread i started which is a few threads down. and keep us up dated with how you get on chasing down that 13sec slip man.
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47521

.1sec off your 60ft does = .3 at the end but there is diminishing returns. ie if i ran a 1.8 60ft i would only take that extra .1 off my PB as i have goten to the power limitation of the car.

weight one isnt quite correct. it makes a difference but not as much as .1 per 10kg

Last edited: