Newbie with an mx5

AlexG

Fresh Recruit
Hey there, been looking at starlets for the past 4 years since turning 17 but always missed out; instead had:
Micra 1l
Polo valver
1975 Beetle 1300
Mx5 mk2

Currently running the mx5 but tempted to change for a glanza, I know I could turbo it but it'll cost in excess of £1k etc whereas I could get a glanza and have some change for mods if I sold the five. So basically doing some research and looking for opinions :D Sitll not sure if I'd rather have power or rwd lol!

Also if anyone wants to swap a glanza V(non auto) for some RWD action then give me a shout haha!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I went the other way, went from a GT to an MX5 getting the turbo treatment.

Shorty

Member +
welcome along fella, my mate has a mk1 mx5 and he loves his rwd fun but if he wants to go fast we take my V out :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if i was you. keep the mx5 and turbo it. ive got 2 turbo starlets and i regret selling my mk1 mx5 :(

they wont sell it back to me either :( :(

starlets are fun, but handlin wise, the mx5 was something else. plus it was rwd!

AlexG

Fresh Recruit
Trouble is to do the turbo route properly its the best part of £1k, if not more as its a mk2 so bits are hard to get hold of. Don't really use the handling that much tbh, no one can on the road really, we're all straight line heroes!

lingl9z

Member +
Welcome I wish I never sold my mx5 and turbo'd it as others are saying, goldenvtr on here done a turbo conversion for a lot less irrc!

Starlet_Sam

Trouble is to do the turbo route properly its the best part of £1k, if not more as its a mk2 so bits are hard to get hold of. Don't really use the handling that much tbh, no one can on the road really, we're all straight line heroes!

Depends on what turbo kit your after and how lucky you get. I got an immense turbo kit for £399

AlexG

Fresh Recruit
Aye, dirt cheap for mk1, if you can find me a mk2 manifold alone for a recent price then I'm all over it! Trouble is also need the good managment else it knocks its arse off and the wideband o2 etc etc, expensive stuff!

All the people saying they wanna go back to the mx5s rather than the starlets, whats the reason? Kind of seems that I'd be going backwards haha!

Starlet_Sam

I loved my GT but it doesn't compare to how the 5 drives. They are cheap and easy to work on too, parts are readily available.

As for management, emanage would be enough on a low boost setup.

dac69er

Super Moderator
surely the mk1 and 2 manifolds would be the same due to the block being the same??? what sized engine do you have? also, is it an import?

as for management, emanage blue will do you fine £250, wideband kit £130, better clutch £200, turbo kit 1k, mapping £300. that is just a rough estimate, but isnt alot of money for a wicked setup.

i love starlets, dont get me wrong, but the mx5 is a superior car in alot of ways. its a sports car to begin with, its rwd, it has a larger capacity and an arguably better engine and it handles alot better than a starlet.

i would have kept it as my runabout car but it wasnt any good for running stuff about like sets of wheels etc as it doesnt have the biggest of boots.

Last edited:

goldenvtr

Member +
the mx5 is a much better car imo, no doubt the fact i love my GT hainv ghad it 5 years and done so so much to it. i bought and turbo'd my mk1 1.8 eunos for under 2k ;) just depends how techinally minded you are, but wouldnt go for a glanza over the mx5

AlexG

Fresh Recruit
Mk1 and Mk2 have different manifolds, loads of them around for the mk1, Greddy/HKS/Flyinmiata etc, mk2 is a lot harder to get hold of. I appreciate its only £xxxx to get it done, but its money that is wasted as it will lose loads of value and won't really increase the car value. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money spare and the attitude that I'm not fussed then I'd do it.

I've already spent some on it, got an AutoExe exhaust, full leather from a ltd edition mk2.5, Gaz Coilover adjustable suspension, hard top and a set of 14x6 watanabes for it.

I can see what everyones saying about the handling though, just not sure I'm that bothered! Anyone near Daventry/Northampton got a Glanza that I can be a passenger in whislt you give it the berries for a few mins?