Non starting starlet - MASSIVE shout for help pls!!!

GlanzaTD04

Member +
Had my Glanza for best part of 2years now (richglanzas ex starlet for you that know) had ALOT of fun in her but equally have had ALOT of problems i.e gearboxes, clutchs, ignition, drivetrain, sensors, you name it shes had it! anyways that’s not relevant to what my problem is now! To put it in a nut shell the car cranks over but doesn’t fire, I had it running like normal prior to changing the oil, changed the lambda sensor aswell as a one wire universal oxygen sensor as recommended by everyone on here, fitted this and turned her over to have her running on what sounded like 2 cylinders?! I then removed to efi fuse to allow the ecu to return back to factory map on my piggy back..still no change? I then proceeded to change the 02 sensor back to the original and still no difference..it now cranks but wont fire atall! Theres spark on all four plugs, plenty of fuel coming through aswell as plenty of compression! A diagnostic check revealed nothing also, battery is fine only few months old and leads and plugs were changed about 2months ago but also tried old plugs and leads, also dizzy looks fine but plenty of spark regardless! Im absolutely stumped and miss driving my starlet very much and any help would be much appreciated!

GlanzaTD04

Member +
have put a jump lead on and earthed onto the block and nothing, its bizzare as it was running perfect before the oil and lambda sensor change??

weeJohn

Lifer
Take the plugs out and leave them sitting somewhere warm and dry for a couple of hours as it sounds like its flooded just.

Have another look at the O2 probe connection as if its not being seen it will run rich.

GlanzaTD04

Member +
Cheers John i will be giving that ago tonight! they didnt look too wet last time i had them out but would answer why it was sort of running and now wont...will check my wiring skills with the 02 sensor but am i right in thinking they can run without these?

GlanzaTD04

Member +
yeh hate being without it..resorted to driving a diesel (sinner i know) hence my reason 2 get her back on the road asap! s13 still keeping you sideways??

GlanzaTD04

Member +
yeah very strong spark, enough to start it atleast i would of thought, all seems to be sparking in the correct sequence too!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you have a spark and fuel and the valves are letting it in and out as it should then it will run

Guye

Lifer
if you have a spark and fuel and the valves are letting it in and out as it should then it will run

Agreed...if it's not flooded, and you have correctly reinstalled the parts as they were when it was running and yet no joy...I can't help but wonder if it would be worthwhile checking the timing. It's a long shot I know, especially since you haven't given reason to indicate something was done to throw it out. No fault codes, fuel's good, spark's good...check timing next? A real mystery...

STARLET N/A

Member +
like most of the members have said check the earths,

the gearbox and the inlet manifold earths cause problems for some people.

goodluck

sam_glanz

Member +
Had the same problem with mine, was sparking was getting fuel, earths were good, still no joy, took my plugs out, witch looked pretty good, heated them up, with a blow torch, put them back in fired up, but was running shit, got some new plugs, was fine.. strange one, might be worth going in with some fresh plugs

Guye

Lifer
like most of the members have said check the earths,

the gearbox and the inlet manifold earths cause problems for some people.

goodluck

Definately worth checking. The earth on the inlet manifold would give a fault code for ecu ground. No fault codes, that's weird.

GlanzaTD04

Member +
just ordered a new set of plugs although the ones in there are only 3-4months old and give a good spark as it is? checked the earth by putting a lead onto the block. still no code, i wish it did in a way atleast it would give some indication of whats knackered! could it be ecu related..just thinking i may of given it headache by resetting it after installing 02 sensor?? very strange...!

GlanzaTD04

Member +
had my local mechanic down 2 have a look and confirmed that everythings there, fuel spark and compression, timings fine! only possible thing we can think now is that its the ecu if not a sensor holding it back?!! any ideas?

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
any immobilisers ? do the lights come on when on ignition also has the head been opened at any time? someone mentioned that their car wouldnt start after a build or just replacement headgasket and turned out that the cams were out. but if you aint touched them then its a wierd one but try just your normal ecu
check all ur fuses under dash and front. your a bit far otherwise id come over and give ya a hand as ive just finished my forged ep82 but hope u get it running soon, if i get time i will try come over to give ya a hand :D but am not promising mate

GlanzaTD04

Member +
yeah but engine light comes on once disabled. all lights on dash that should be there. can only imagine its the ecu as i reset this after oil and lambda change so may of given up since i reset it?! seems like too much of a coincidence to be anything else?! fuses all look ok! thats ok bud i appreciate that, will whip my ecu and try it in another and see how it performs..atleast i can check that off the list! cant imagine it could be anything else now!? cheers again!