Non stop smoking

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
I'm having a problem with a lot of greyish colour smoke from the exhaust and idling problem, ever since i had the valve steam seals, and head gasket changed and only yesterday a new turbo fitted, things had not improve one bit. I get a lot of smoke from idling, every time I drive off I leave a smoke screen behind and the same when I change gear.

The Idling, some time it idle fine and most of the time it idle at 2k rpm, and yesterday as I was driving home the car stalled twice as the idling drop till 500 – 300 rpm and stalled.

I really need help as the mechanic doesn’t know what else could be the problem.

Any help would be greatful, thanks guys :)

DarrenGT

Member +
ok well im tinking since uve the head done it could be just excess oil buring of in the cylinders from the head been done and the new turbo which should clear up if ya get me??
Now i changed the idle speed control valve on the intake manifold (cam cover side of engine) with i tink a two pin block conector on it could be the problem,, you can strip and clean them out

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
thats what my mechanic told me aswell, but could there be that much oil to burn? i mean smoke just poring out the exhaust.

Now im thinking back, i got a feeling its also missfireing as well, because that night on the way home the car was idleing low and it sounded like a scooby.

sx_turbo

Lifer
my be best doing a compression test on it,

but grey smoke in this weather is pretty normal, but not with those other symptoms.

DarrenGT

Member +
its very possible to get that smoke BUT if its like that a gud few weeks it cud be somting internal.. take it for a GOOD long spin down a motorway, it cud burn the excess oil thats in the engine.. get an idle speed control valve and try it cos it sounds like the exsact same problem i had with my car. Also check vacum pipes.. is your air filter clean?? it be smokey if your filter was blocked due to more fuel than air

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
thanks for all the advice, i will check the air filter and vaccum pipes, so how long do i have to drive to burn all the oil out?

DarrenGT

Member +
There is no harm in doing a compression check whats so ever!!..... Well doing a compression check is basically cheaking the piston rings.. if they wer worn ud have loss of compression,SMOKE and excess oil consumption.. just spend about ya no bout 20mins just to burn it of BUT it might take a while(dependind how much oil there is).. if its still smoking do a compression check.. ring toyota and ask for what should be the compression readings...

Last edited:

omcr

Member +
I'm having a problem with a lot of greyish colour smoke from the exhaust and idling problem, ever since i had the valve steam seals, and head gasket changed and only yesterday a new turbo fitted, things had not improve one bit. I get a lot of smoke from idling, every time I drive off I leave a smoke screen behind and the same when I change gear.

The Idling, some time it idle fine and most of the time it idle at 2k rpm, and yesterday as I was driving home the car stalled twice as the idling drop till 500 – 300 rpm and stalled.

I really need help as the mechanic doesn’t know what else could be the problem.

Any help would be greatful, thanks guys :)

thats the same problems i had before i found out my gasket was through and my engine head was warped...so u mite wanna check those

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
thats the same problems i had before i found out my gasket was through and my engine head was warped...so u mite wanna check those

I only had the head gasket change a few weeks ago, and got the head skimmed at the same time. I'm gonna go a compression test just to make sure. Just wanted to know if I change the head gasket back to stock one, will it make a difference? Currenly using 1.2m.

weeJohn

Lifer
1.2 is the same a stock.

It sounds like a broken ring land or ring itself, you should get accurate compression test results with a new head gasket fitted.

If I had a mechanic working at my car and he ran out of ideas as to why it was smoking on idle after only doing what has been done, I would be looking for another mechanic.

omcr

Member +
If I had a mechanic working at my car and he ran out of ideas as to why it was smoking on idle after only doing what has been done, I would be looking for another mechanic.

point taken lesson learned
Searching for mechanic...
lol

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
Haven't had the time yet, but i will need to take the car to get a compression test done, i've started her up today after got home from work, and i sounds like the its misfire. not to sure what to do now...

G4V1N

Fresh Recruit
Finally the car its back from the work shop, find out it was the piston rings that are worn. so had them changed and the car run sweet, no smoke no misfire... but have to take it easy at let the ring settle in first, before i start boosting :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Finally the car its back from the work shop, find out it was the piston rings that are worn. so had them changed and the car run sweet, no smoke no misfire... but have to take it easy at let the ring settle in first, before i start boosting :)

Excellent stuff :)

Happy motoring.