Not going in gear!!!

villen25

Member +
My car does not go in gear when it is on anymore, but shifts freely when its off. It cannot shift while driving, and has to be started in gear and I have no choice but to drive in first gear only. When it starts it moves forward, and when moving I can hold down the clutch and still accelerate! Whats wrong:(? Clutch never showed signs of slippage... is my clutch dead? is it my transmission? All clutch fluid is in the bottle, no mess... linkages and slave moves freely. Clutch is extremely soft now though... HELP

My car does not go in gear when it is on anymore, but shifts freely when its off. It cannot shift while driving, and has to be started in gear and I have no choice but to drive in first gear only. When it starts it moves forward, and when moving I can hold down the clutch and still accelerate! Whats wrong:(? Clutch never showed signs of slippage... is my clutch dead? is it my transmission? All clutch fluid is in the bottle, no mess... linkages and slave moves freely. Clutch is extremely soft now though... HELP

When you push in the clutch does it spring back out or come out slowly?? As in put clutch full way in then quickly let it go and see if it springs back into its normal place. It difinitely sounds like a clutch problem as you can accelerate when the clutch is pushed down, sounds to me like the car doesnt recognise that the clutch is pushed down when you have it pushed down hence why you cant change gears, wouldnt say it was gearbox as you can change gears freely when car is off.
Christy

villen25

Member +
When you push in the clutch does it spring back out or come out slowly?? As in put clutch full way in then quickly let it go and see if it springs back into its normal place. It difinitely sounds like a clutch problem as you can accelerate when the clutch is pushed down, sounds to me like the car doesnt recognise that the clutch is pushed down when you have it pushed down hence why you cant change gears, wouldnt say it was gearbox as you can change gears freely when car is off.
Christy

yes it spring back up quickly to the same position, but it is way softer. Do you know how i can fix this?

yes it spring back up quickly to the same position, but it is way softer. Do you know how i can fix this?

What happens when you try to change gear does it grind or just not go at all like its blocked? Also try and change gear with the clutch let out about a quarter and see does that help.
As for a definite fix wouldnt be sure it will be between clutch and gearbox I think, my guess would be clutch.
Christy

sounds like u dont have enough clutch pressure.....try bleeding the system and inspect the master and slave cylinders properly for leaks..

Also check all the gear linkages to make sure they are connected properly

if that fails....u need to take off the g/box and check out the pressure plate (clutch assembly)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
sounds like u dont have enough clutch pressure.....try bleeding the system and inspect the master and slave cylinders properly for leaks..

if that fails....u need to take off the g/box and check out the pressure plate (clutch assembly)

i would say it seems like a hydraulic problem, so check you have fluid in your clutch master cylinder and also look for leaks

villen25

Member +

I still have all fluid in the bottle, all linkages are properly because it shifts just fine when the car is off, but cant shift if the car is running.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Similare thing happened to me, the clutch pedal is attached to a long threaded bar, my pedal somehow came off this so it wasn't operating the clutch at all.

Was fiddly to get it back on but it fixed it in my case.

villen25

Member +
Similare thing happened to me, the clutch pedal is attached to a long threaded bar, my pedal somehow came off this so it wasn't operating the clutch at all.

Was fiddly to get it back on but it fixed it in my case.

did it pop back up like normal? Mines does but it is very soft now. Where are you talking about and how did you fix it?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Yea it was extremly soft to push but did go back into the same postion.

If u look up where the pedals go follow the clutch one up u will see a bar that comes through to attach onto the pedal.

When it happened to me i was driving and went to change gear and it just went soft and wouldn't go into gear.

Has ur gradually done this or was it suddenly?

villen25

Member +
Yea it was extremly soft to push but did go back into the same postion.

If u look up where the pedals go follow the clutch one up u will see a bar that comes through to attach onto the pedal.

When it happened to me i was driving and went to change gear and it just went soft and wouldn't go into gear.

Has ur gradually done this or was it suddenly?

yesterday when I left work, it suddenly refuse to shift when i was in traffic... the pedal went soft too

well ...until u get it checked out....i would advise u to stop driving the car....else u WILL need gearbox repairs.........so best to find and fix the current problems BEFORE u have to spend much more when they destroy something else

might well be clutch assembly related then

for sure u are losing clutch pressure......so its either from seals (clutch/slave cyliners) or the clutch assembly.........and u say the former is good.........so then its the next

villen25

Member +
well ...until u get it checked out....i would advise u to stop driving the car....else u WILL need gearbox repairs.........so best to find and fix the current problems BEFORE u have to spend much more when they destroy something else

might well be clutch assembly related then

for sure u are losing clutch pressure......so its either from seals (clutch/slave cyliners) or the clutch assembly.........and u say the former is good.........so then its the next

i know, i stopped driving the car monday:(

villen25

Member +
changed my slave cylinder, and car still doesnt go in gear, should i change the clutch master next? I'm still out of a car

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
have you checked that when you press the pedal the actual clutch slave is moving?? if yes than its not a problem from the clutch pedal to the slave/hydrolic related.