Oil in water resivour

kilo

Member +
Checked the dip stick to see if any coolant was on it, no sign. Seems to be just in my water bottle. Is this also considered a sign the head gasket is shot?

Thanks

nistarbo

Member +
I'm not sure of the problem. Could be a case of a gasket. Might be worth flushing the reservoir and keeping and eye on it. Or flush the whole system I would think if there was much it would be mainly in the radiator.

kilo

Member +
What is worring is the water bottle was empty, indicating its using coolant also. Has anybody ever found oil in their rad resivour?

Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
Sounds pretty fucked. I would stop using it and get the engine sorted before it does some irreparable damage!

kilo

Member +
Surely there would be other symptoms, heater blowing cold air, problems starting and excessive use of coolent?

Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
the water bottle being empty is excessive use of coolant in my books.
the symptoms of a headgasket failure can vary depending on where the gasket blows and to what extent the gasket is gone.

Jay

Admin
Ideally a sniffer test on the coolant to see if there are any gases present in the cooling system.

Compression test followed by a cylinder leakdown test should help diagnosis.

My auto started by pushing coolant out of the reservoir after any good thrashings. This progressed to 'proper' headgasket symptoms after six months (signs of oil in coolant/loss of compression/etc).

kilo

Member +
I can give it a compression test tomorrow night. I take it the smell would be quite strong after it has been running a bit jay?

I honestly cant believe id ever be asking these questions lol

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
I can give it a compression test tomorrow night. I take it the smell would be quite strong aftervit has been running a bit jay?

I honestly cant believe id ever be asking these questions lol

sickening.

Phil

kilo

Member +
Im hoping it hasnt gone that far, there is a two week period it has done this. I think it has happened more recent than the far side of two weeks away. Well not much we can do about it now, if its gone its gone. Just as well santas elves are so versatile that they not only make toys but head gaskets also

Skalabala

Member +
Im hoping it hasnt gone that far, there is a two week period it has done this. I think it has happened more recent than the far side of two weeks away. Well not much we can do about it now, if its gone its gone. Just as well santas elves are so versatile that they not only make toys but head gaskets also

Be strong bud. Are you married?