oil! its going somewhere!

thomllee1981

Member +
right people got a bit of an issue!

im using up oil! ive had a small leak rom my rocker cover gasket just behind the dissy cap for ages and new it was loosing a little oil but now im loosing quite abit and it seams to be all over the top of my rocker cover!
have a catch can rulling of the vent on the top of the rocker cover but that flows freely when blow init.
have noticed the gasket on my oil filler cap has come away would that leak at all?

any other ideas?

cheers

thomllee1981

Member +
wel when i filled it last at oil change it was 3/4 way on dipstick now its just at the bottom almost off! (on the gauge part!)

and probably a couple of months and its due to be changed around the 3000mile mark but noramlly over 2 ltrs drains out! when i change it even when i have left it for to long

sx_turbo

Lifer
replace the rocker cover gasket and the oil cap, and see how it goes.

does the car smoke?

also starlets are prone to rear main oil seals to go aswell

thomllee1981

Member +
no oil out of BOV just some grim in the out on one side due to where it is and way its facing.

as for smoke no not that i can see anyway!

that is a new rocker cover gasket ricky!

thomllee1981

Member +
probably over torque the 5 nuts but its not the rocker cover gasket that leaking its that silly blanking plate half moon bit!

and to point out a fact here guys its all over the top of the rocker cover! i mean its got a film thats completely coated it!

Phil

Super Moderator
u could hav wrung a bolt by over torquing it up!? rendering the gasket useless, new or otherwise!

Phil

thomllee1981

Member +
how can u over tighten a closed cap nut? (didnt think it was possible) and they are only hand tight i take them off with little effort only used a spanner!

and has only started using oil in last week or two.

Phil

Super Moderator
well if they are only hand tight then u should be grand really.

with enough leverage u can break most things.
the old sayin, "if u truely believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you cant do"

Phil

thomllee1981

Member +
my arms aint exactly that strong if they had the power of my legs i could probably rip the engine mount bolts in half! lol

but like i have said seams to be leaking above the rocker cover gasket line anyway!

shall try and find a new oil filler cap asap

turbo-fever

Member +
i am havin the same problem but i think its coming from the bottom of the dizzy is there a seal for the dizzy as this might need replacing