Oil leak from ...

Johnny_B

Member +
I have a serious oil leak, i've identified where it's coming from, but i don't know what the leaking part is called.:homer:

It's raining atm, so will get a picture of the offending part up tomorrow.

There's no leak when the engine is off, when the engine is started, oil will start pouring out within 10secs or so.

The leak is from a square, box like part. It's metal and about 5 or 6 inches long. It's infront of the sump between the exhaust and the cambelt.

Any ideas what it is??

Thanks in advance

Johnny_B

Member +
its deffo not the oil filter, its below that. I've just gone out and got a pic, will upload in five. Repped for your input

(The Irony, what a tool!)

Last edited:

Johnny_B

Member +
SDC10380.jpg

The leak is coming from the bottom right of the box behind the oil feed pipe in this picture.

Is it definitely a power steering pump?

Paul_JJ

Member +
really? should oil be going through there?

I would assume any pump would need lubrication..... also would assume that you haven't used your AC for a year or 2 - which don't do any good to the pump. Do some research on the AC pump - online!

Jay

Admin
The aircon pump does not get an oil feed. It will be from sonething else above it most likely. You will need to investigate further.

Cheers,

Jay

clarkytrd

Member +
My bad... As said above, air con does not use an oil feed so will be more than like something above it.

Check your oil return line on the turbo/sump.

Johnny_B

Member +
So is the thing in the picture definitely an a/c pump??

If so, i'll have a really thorough look at everything else

Texx

Super Moderator
If the A/C compressor had leaked oil it would have also leaked refrigerant so the A/C system wouldn't be working, also the A/C compressor won't have enough oil in it to produce a visible leak when the engine is running. The A/C compressor is at the lowest point, if there's engine oil dripping off of it then it'll be leaking from above somewhere.

First things to check would be the oil filter and the turbo oil feed pipe.

corofin12345

Member +
defo no the a/c thats loosing oil anyway.. as above and the most likely problem would be the oil feed for the turbo.. also, have you topped up your oil since noticing the leak..? if its coming out the fast the sump will be dry in no time..