oil leak!

WillGT

Member +
hi recently i changed my turbo as the oil seals went on my old one ,so i fitted a new one, to make room i removed the oil filter but since then i had a leak, i put this down to being a dodgy filter. i then put a new oil filter on thinking this would solve the problem but it's still leaking after 2 filters what could this be? i checked the feed for the turbo etc and thats all fine, the oil seems to be coming from the filter drip plate but i cant tighten the filter any more than it already is?? ideas please guys

kieran.s gt

Member +
when u took off the first filter did the oil filter seal come off aswell
if it didnt when u put on a new filter it wont seal cos there now 2 seals no matter how tight it is

Jay

Admin
Could just be the oil filter not sealing 100%. Did you coat the oil filter seal with a thin film of oil prior to fitting mate?

WillGT

Member +
Could just be the oil filter not sealing 100%. Did you coat the oil filter seal with a thin film of oil prior to fitting mate?

yeh i did that, I thought it might not be 100% but it wont go any tighter.

WillGT

Member +
when u took off the first filter did the oil filter seal come off aswell
if it didnt when u put on a new filter it wont seal cos there now 2 seals no matter how tight it is

yeh it came off with the old filter and i cant see it being two faulty oil filters.

Sean_GT

Member +
When you say you have checked the oil feed have you actually taken it off and tested it?

Mine was leaking and i would not have know by looking at it, i took it off washed it then blew down it whilst blocking one end under water.

WillGT

Member +
When you say you have checked the oil feed have you actually taken it off and tested it?

Mine was leaking and i would not have know by looking at it, i took it off washed it then blew down it whilst blocking one end under water.

No i never did that mate thats a good idea tho, i just felt around the pipe, i found a small amount oil around the copper washer i tightend that big bolt up and wiped it all down so theres no oil on it now. the oils running down the drip plate tho there's not much but i just want it fixed. haha

Sean_GT

Member +
No i never did that mate thats a good idea tho, i just felt around the pipe, i found a small amount oil around the copper washer i tightend that big bolt up and wiped it all down so theres no oil on it now. the oils running down the drip plate tho there's not much but i just want it fixed. haha

I would check it to be honest mate mine was losing a little bit of oil but i just kept topping it up and didnt bother with it and on monday it emptied itself out of the oil feed on the way to work, now i need a new engine:(

WillGT

Member +
I would check it to be honest mate mine was losing a little bit of oil but i just kept topping it up and didnt bother with it and on monday it emptied itself out of the oil feed on the way to work, now i need a new engine:(

really gutted mate i best take a closer look at this problem then dont fancy buying a new engine, only just got my new excedy organic racing clutch on last week because my old one was slipping that cost me enough by the time i paid for it to be fitted. would the oil still come down the drip plate tho if that turbo feed pipe was leaking?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Hey mate,

It sounds like you have tightened the oil filter too much, these are only meant to be hand tight they won't come off. If you keep tightening you will crush the seal which is why it will leak.

Get another filter, coat the seal in oil and screw on hand tight as hard as you can go, report back and let us know if that cures it. Don't use any tool to put it on, only to remove :)

T

WillGT

Member +
Hey mate,

It sounds like you have tightened the oil filter too much, these are only meant to be hand tight they won't come off. If you keep tightening you will crush the seal which is why it will leak.

Get another filter, coat the seal in oil and screw on hand tight as hard as you can go, report back and let us know if that cures it. Don't use any tool to put it on, only to remove :)

T

hi toby this filter which is leaking is a new one and it is the second one since the leak, i've only done it hand tight, i know by using a tool it will crush or bend the filter, is it possible for the face where the filter connects upto to crack?