Oil operating temperature

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Anyone know what operating temp is for oil? And also what oil temps should I start to worry about?

Using 10 40

Thanks

craigant

Member +
mine sits between 60 - 80. 60 when cruising round, 80 when sat in traffic for a while. Highest ive seen is about 89 after booting it then being in traffic, This is without an oil cooler.

120 i hear is the limit

What temps are you getting?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
I am forged TD04.... it was sitting just under 80 all the time, but lately have been getting readings up to 110c...... I got 110c the other day after 10 mins of driving even with no boost. I have an oil cooler kit with inline thermostat installed. I take it the sensor for my gauge is knackered or I have air lock in my oil.... in which case I have no idea how to get rid of.. although I was under the impression the thermostat got rid of the air lock

craigant

Member +
im forged td04 aswell so yeah thats defo running to hot. maybe the oil cooler thermostat has gone??

Whats your water temp reading?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
thermostat is brand new, my water temp last night went high, I think theirs an air lock in the water system.... I take it this will obviously be my problem for the oil temp being high?

Gilly2006

Member +
running TD04 on fresh engine and im getting 65-75 round town, booting it highest iv seen is 85-90. using 10W-40s aswell.

STARLET N/A

Member +
your oil operating temperature should be around the 80-95 degrees centergrade mark.

My mocal oil cooler thermostat will open around 85, so i guess that close to were you would want it.

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Im having problems guys, my oil temp showed 100 degrees celsius this morning - without boost, I gave the smallest amount of boost just before I got to work, and the car went to over heat (according to the toyota clocks), my water temp gauge... which has the sensor installed in the top radiator hose never went above 70 degrees celsius.... I carried on driving and the toyota clocks went back to temperature... I got to work and the heaters went cold. I gave it a new water thermostat last night, bled the system up... I don't know what else to do... =(

stavros

Member +
Check the sensor on the stat housing, sometimes the outer casing of the 2 wires which go in to the spade fitting split and cause a speradic reading. I cut them back, installed a new spade and the water temp has remained fine on the toyota gauge.

With regard to your oil, have you checked the oil level? What oil temp gauge are you running? Have you checked the sensor is in properly and theres not a loose connection on the sender?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
I dont think its a faulty reading as the heaters went cold this morning when I got to work

oil level I will check shortly, running prosport premium peak/warn gauge, sensor is in and all connected up properly....

stavros

Member +
How quickly does it take for the oil/water levels to rise to the temperatures above? Is your exhaust smoking? Is there any marshmellow under the oil cap?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Oil level is just over half way (I have a leak from my sump plug), exhaust isn't smoking and there's no gunk under the oil cap. Toyota temp gauge gets to temp pretty quickly, just like normal I guess. On my aftermarket gauge (with sensor in top rad pipe) it takes a while to get warm and hasn't been over 70 since I installed it the other day

Rev

Member +
I find below 3/4 oil will cause temp increase maybe you have less oil than you think because the car was on a slope or the oil had not settled properly?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
BUMP! any ideas guys? And my car is overheating...well.....trying to..... it had a new thermostat last night, was ran for a good 20minutes to get rid of air locks, theirs no leaks.... =(

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Rads not blocked dude, my alternator belt had been squeeking for months, so I put a new one on her last night... so far soo good for today... no overheating... however.... oil temp is still high compared to craigant for example... before I fitted my oil cooler it never went above 80, since fitting my oil cooler and thermostat its been hitting 90's 100's and 110's... got a new oil temp sensor just incase so will try that tonight...