Oil pressure

ktl

Member +
Iv read through that oil pressure should be around 2bar on warm idle.

My gauge is showing around 1.5 and sometimes gets as low as 1.2 bar. Now is that telling me something is on its way out or worn ?

Standard internals..

thanks

Rory

Lifer
What does it show on a cold/start up idle?
What oil are you running?
Where is your reading taken from?

Could be a couple of things, either -

Oil pump starting to give up
OR
Oil pressure releif valve faulty

ktl

Member +
From cold its on i think 4bar

I'm using castrol gtx 10w40 at the moment

And i have t-pieced where the oil pressure switch is on the block.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
From cold its on i think 4bar

I'm using castrol gtx 10w40 at the moment

And i have t-pieced where the oil pressure switch is on the block.

i have the exact same reading from the exact same point. depanding on revs... 1.5bar on 850rpm maybe... 1k rpm 25 psi of pressure.

Big_Daddy

Member +
wow... 1rpm.. lmao.. yeah something about does lines... when 1krpm cold is 65ish and warm 25ish

lol (typing error). if you give car abit of beans the pressure drops to around 21psi, asume the oil is weakend.
Just to ask can you measue oil temp via from oil pressue location using T peice?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
lol (typing error). if you give car abit of beans the pressure drops to around 21psi, asume the oil is weakend.
Just to ask can you measue oil temp via from oil pressue location using T peice?

yep thats what im doing.. using a T

GlanzaMat

Member +
a few things you need to bear in mind about oil pressure.

people worry about oil pressure all the time, normally its after they fit a gauge!!

Oil pressure will depends on the weight of oil you are using.

Oil pressure will also differ to whatever tempreature the oil is, as an example oil pressure will be considerably lower after a hard long drive.

Mechanical oil pressure gauges in my experience are better than electronic ones. For example if you're using a electronic item then you must use the sender designed for the gauge as the sneders all differ in resistance, which thus means an inaccurate readings if you mix and match.

if you drive you car hard all the time (e.g. track car) also use a decent oil, i use silkolene pro s as the breakdown point of this oil is alot higher than other "top" brand names such as castrol.

dont be too overly concerned, (unless you can here you're engine knocking at idle!!) - its more important that oil pressure increases with the revs.

A car will normally have lower oil pressure than factory recommendations, particualry if its done a few miles

Out of interest, does anyone know what the standard Glanza EP91 oil switch is triggered at?????

GlanzaMat

Member +
it can also be an innacurate gauge as wen my lights and wipers are on the gauge drops.

it shouldnt do that if its a good quality gauge with the correct sender (assuming electronic)

How have you wired it up? anything which requires a accurate reading i would also recommend a direct feed from the battery with its own earth.

i suspect its either got a bad earth or its the wrong sender

Thanks

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
a few things you need to bear in mind about oil pressure.

people worry about oil pressure all the time, normally its after they fit a gauge!!

Oil pressure will depends on the weight of oil you are using.

Oil pressure will also differ to whatever tempreature the oil is, as an example oil pressure will be considerably lower after a hard long drive.

Mechanical oil pressure gauges in my experience are better than electronic ones. For example if you're using a electronic item then you must use the sender designed for the gauge as the sneders all differ in resistance, which thus means an inaccurate readings if you mix and match.

if you drive you car hard all the time (e.g. track car) also use a decent oil, i use silkolene pro s as the breakdown point of this oil is alot higher than other "top" brand names such as castrol.

dont be too overly concerned, (unless you can here you're engine knocking at idle!!) - its more important that oil pressure increases with the revs.

A car will normally have lower oil pressure than factory recommendations, particualry if its done a few miles

Out of interest, does anyone know what the standard Glanza EP91 oil switch is triggered at?????

good points... i was going to put a washer under the rpesure valve to up the presure a bit... i have a mechanical guage an auto meter one so should be good.

and the switch of the glanza triggers at very low pressure :S

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
it shouldnt do that if its a good quality gauge with the correct sender (assuming electronic)

How have you wired it up? anything which requires a accurate reading i would also recommend a direct feed from the battery with its own earth.

i suspect its either got a bad earth or its the wrong sender

Thanks

if you put on the lights, revs will drop so oil presure will drop too.. nothing to do with the guage beaing wired wrong

GlanzaMat

Member +
if you put on the lights, revs will drop so oil presure will drop too.. nothing to do with the guage beaing wired wrong

revs will momentarily drop but will then raise back to normal as electronic equipment is switched on.

Plus revs will only drop a tiny percentage and not enough to affect oil pressure

if your using autometer gauges this is probably why; dont take offense here but they are rubbish

if you insists on having a pressure gauge, use a decent one such as Stack.

i recently re-wired a guy's gauge because just using the electric windows made the pressure drop by 1 bar :haha:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
revs will momentarily drop but will then raise back to normal as electronic equipment is switched on.

Plus revs will only drop a tiny percentage and not enough to affect oil pressure

if your using autometer gauges this is probably why; dont take offense here but they are rubbish

if you insists on having a pressure gauge, use a decent one such as Stack.

i recently re-wired a guy's gauge because just using the electric windows made the pressure drop by 1 bar :haha:

autometer are crap? you sure not on autoguage gueages? your the first one i hear that says autometer are rubbish