oversteer

fishman

Member +
sorry if repost but couldnt find exact answer in search bar.
had the ep82 now for 5 month, very happy with the performance and love the cars look and feel, but i am becoming scared of entering any corner at speed as it oversteers so easy, it is stripped out throughout the car, decent tires, correct pressure, cusco struts and cage, i love drag racing and have a bit of banter with the lads as im a "straight line warrior"hahah but i want to be able to get some corners going, it kicks out at the back so easy even on roundabouts that im not even going fast, starting to make me really nervous and i know this is not how i should feel as when you become scared thats when things go wrong...

any mods that can help?? anything i can except put interior back in as i like, p.s it did t before the stripping.

sorry if i sound newbish

cheers fishman

AdamB

Member +
Are you still on stock suspension?
I would say get a thicker front anti roll bar to counteract the oversteer.

weeJohn

Lifer
We had a Corolla FWD track car that oversteered well, it was very controllable with the throttle on the track but I can understand you not wanting it on the road. We made a strut brace for the rear top mounts and it all but took it away, so much so we took the brace off as it just wasnt so much fun lol. But the bracing deffinately reduced oversteer.

Its unusual for EPs to ovesteer easily, you drive an EP71 right? I had one many years ago and it was not something it suffered from, although it was not stripped out in any way. I know you are experienced behind the wheel on the strip, so I dont want to offend you in any way here, but FWD cars need to be balanced on the throttle through corners to keep some weight on the rears. Its a case of braking earlier and getting lightly on the gas as, or even before, you turn in. This keeps the rears weighted and provides a bit more grip.

fishman

Member +
im in 93 ep82 weejohn, thanks for advice iv started playing with small amounts of gas through the corner and it really helps pull the car round but it just seems to step out so easy, thanks very much for the advice, i have cusco struts, think its on bilstein shocks unsure of springs, coilovers will help i guess, just scared that i get coilovers and it gets snappier as its stiffer???

want to rep you but my rep doesnt work.haha

fishman

rosso321

Member +
plant the foot lol or 4wd system ha happend to me changed my suspension to sr specials hasnt happend since

Jay

Admin
I've found tyre choice and geometry have huge effects on cornering ability. Might be worth your while investing in a set of coilovers with adjustable topmounts as it would allow you to dabble with camber and alignment settings. This alone can add serious confidence in the twisties.

Bracing can help but I've also found that too little give in the vehicle's setup can adversely affect handling. It's a case of trying things out and catering the setup to suit your preferences.

Jay

fishman

Member +
cheers jay pal, going to look at coilover options and change from t1r's to a different brand of tire see if it helps at all, just split a clutch in half so bought and paying for a spec clutch at present so all in time.haha

fishman

Member +
mine does it on the most basic of roundabouts f**k knows whats going on.haha
and before someone asks i aint lifting off the gas.haha

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Mine use to do this to,

But mine was due to poor rear tires and way too high spring rates(old D2 coilovers) Tires will have a huge effect. What tires are you using?

So even when taking smooth lines the rear end comes out? Long sweeping bends does it feel planted? Or is it just the short/sharp corners that send the rear skittish?

fishman

Member +
i cant expalin it, it feels floaty on even the longest corners with loads of room, and shitter on tight corners when i wants to go out. im on toyo t1rs matey

Dan3SGTE

Member +
With my experience T1r's are shit, they are not for enthusiastic drives or serious drivers, they dont inspire confidence at all. Get yourself a decent set of tires, at a good budget you cannot beat Hankook RS2's. Amazing tires on and off track and reasonable in the wet. Next best thing to a semi slick and they have good life.

fishman

Member +
cheers dude, ill give em ago in time. iv tried a range of pressures from hard to low to see any difference, what do you guys suggest?

kellygt

Member +
cheers dude, ill give em ago in time. iv tried a range of pressures from hard to low to see any difference, what do you guys suggest?

Over inflated tyre's tend to slide more easily hence drift car's running higher pressures on there car's I would try running slightly less for more grip and maybe getting adjustable camber top mounts and running a little negative camber I have cusco camber adjustable top mounts which I find great

Rev

Member +
it kicks out at the back so easy even on roundabouts that im not even going fast, cheers fishman

I find the stiff rear axle lifts the outside rear tyre off the road when the inside rear is next to the roundabout and the front right goes low. The camber on roundabouts can be very excessive so the car is basically on one back wheel. If this wheel is wider , strongly offset or has mismatch camber with the road camber grip will be reduced and/or lift of the outer wheel increased. In a dynamic situation the wheel grip can change rapidly as gradient is not constant.

Last edited: