Painting Rockercover ......?????

mike g

Member +
rocker cover!!

i want to paint my rocker cover and wondering what paint do ye use on yours??? e.g. primer, high temp and how long do you leave it to dry for you get my drift!! i think this would be good in the tutorial section!!

Chris@CCM

Member +
im only after doing my 106 gti rocker covers . all i did was take them off give it a wee wash with some thiners give it a rub down to remove any rough bits with say 400 or less ,light coat of etch primer then done it with 1k satin black few coats of that and thats it mate mine turned out real well .high temp is not realy needed imo . give it say 5mins or so after each coat or just untill it look dryish a heat blower or even a hair dryer would come in handy to help it dry . good luck

mike g

Member +
thanks!! do the gaskets have to be changed when you remove the rocker cover??? does know alot about this to be honest??

Evo

Member +
Gasket only needs to be changed if its falling apart which it shouldn't be, when you put the gasket back in just cover it in vaseline and it'll be fine. When you take it off you'll have to loosen the mount on the front left hand corner of the block that is holding the EFI pipe in place and then just leaver off the rocker with a flat head screw driver and get your fingers under it when you can.

Make sure the HT leads are out of the way, the 2 breather pipes are off (one in between spark chamber 1 and 2 and one at the back of the rocker, think its called a PCV valve), The EFI bracket is loosened and the injecter lines that run along the back of the rocker are out of the way.

I used high temp paint on mine which you DO NOT need primer for.

Preperation should be as said above with wet dry paper and white spirit or something like that and then wash it in hot soapy water and make sure it is completely dry before spraying.

Even though i used high temp paint i dont think it's necessary and you could probably use normal car paint with primer.

Hope that helps

Christian

chinaone

Member +
Can someone post up some pic of their DIY rocker job, pics of it got painted, and after a few moths later, cos i am scare the paint fake off. paint used etc.

B

bri--man

yeh im wantin to do mine but dont know how it will look like after a few months so a few pics would be good

TurboDave

Member +
Ill make a tutorial and stick it up asap. Heres a quick idea.

They are not easy to do and do take lots of time but it is possible to get them right.

Here are my ones I done one in very high temp paint and tbh it was shit, so I sanded it down and cleaned it with a pressure jet and choke and carb cleaner and then sprayed the paint directly onto them no primer. I built up coats and then clear laquered it and then painted the white toyota on.

IMAG0536.jpg

Now I done my spare one again pressure jet and choke and carb cleaner and then sprayed it black but I thought it looked a bit plain so I sprayed thinly some of the green paint on top of the black and then laquered it the result flip paint rocker cover! This is on the car now and is showing no signs of cracking/flaking. And it looks the bollox in the sun.

IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

Last edited:

Chachito

Member +
Guys what are the steps to paint your rocker cover?

Such as:

What sandpaper do I need to use?
What paint is the best?
What the steps are before painting and painting?

Thnx mates cheers:gt-smilie:

sx_turbo

Lifer
ned to get all the dirt off you can by using a wire brush and sand paper.

400 grit sanpaper should do.

and you will need to use heat proof paint other wise it will flake off.

or you could get it anodised or you could get it powder coated.

Chachito

Member +
I already used degrease on it and cleaned it all the dirt and oil of it yesterday.

Only thing I need to do is do the sandpaper thing and paint it.

But what I want to know is I want the toyota part with the stripes I wanted chromed or lat say polished don't know how you guys call that .

I want to do somethin like Abott's cars rocker cover.

http://toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=140

Cheers

sx_turbo

Lifer
paint the whole cover, leave to try, then get a belt sander and be careful to only take the paint off the rasied bit where the writing is.

Chachito

Member +
paint the whole cover, leave to try, then get a belt sander and be careful to only take the paint off the rasied bit where the writing is.

So there's no need to sandpaper the whole roker cover right? Just paint and do the belt sand on it with carefull?

:)

TurboDave

Member +
You dont need high temp paint I used normal spray paint and mine has been fine for months. I didnt use any primer either, just sanded it down and cleaned it up.

I sprayed the bottom layer black and then turquoise on the top so it looks like a metal flake colour and changes in the light.

Chachito

Member +
You dont need high temp paint I used normal spray paint and mine has been fine for months. I didnt use any primer either, just sanded it down and cleaned it up.

I sprayed the bottom layer black and then turquoise on the top so it looks like a metal flake colour and changes in the light.

Cool mate I'll try it out

Last edited:

HutchGlanzaV

Member +

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that Dave.