Pics of an Autobahn88 intercooler fitted..

tosa2tosa

Member +
think the guy with the blue glanza managed it
said he had to put extra brackets in
he had a thread on it on the old forum

squeekyduck

Member +
Thats me. no i didnt manage it yet. never got around to it. When i get free time i am going to weld a bracket together.

bullet

Member +
im in process of making a custom crash bar to fit around the intercooler, just dont have time to finish it off at the moment, once its done ill show you all them maybe i can make some for you guys for a small price?

Jay

Admin
It's just that the crash bar should be retained for safety issues.

It's made of strengthened steel and is part of the impact absorbing structure of the car. Without it those chassis legs are going to crease and there's no real way of telling how the vehicle will crumple in an impact.

At least that's what I took from the Toyota manual on the topic.

parkiboy

Member +
with the removal of aircon and making custom brackets for the front mount i think it can be achieved, its till on my to-do list lol currently dont have the crash bar on but i do really need to get that sorted!!

bicrod

Member +
is the intercooler made if ally or is it stainless steel?? i do tig welding for a leaving and have the resorces to make these brackets. Ive just orded an autobahn intercooler to but in not due to fit until november. is it just the cooler that doesnt fit?? will the pipe work also have to be altered ??? will effect the way the bumper fits??
Andrew

Gee

Member +
Well, I'd be very interested if someone can get these to fit without removing the crash bar.

People might take note now a respected mod has posted this info.

Nice one Jay.

Greg0r

Member +
totally agree, safety first, i really want one but crash bar is a must....

but to be fair head on crash in a starlet, not going make that much difference.

it does get a massive group 1 safety star after all :p

contradiction.. I love it :)

aaronw

Member +
another thing isif you go in the back of someone,will cause alot more damage...id of thought. i agree tho...safty 1st

Gee

Member +
Don't think anyone here is qualified to say it wont make much difference in a collision. We all know Starlets crumple up as it is, why would we want to make it even worse!

Craig

Lifer
Do these kits still fit an EP82 without modifying crash bar etc? Are they the kits Dave B is selling?

Agreed safety first!

Benogt

Fresh Recruit
Yeah mate i got an ep82 and got one off toby, fitted yesterday looks the bollocks, fits without removing the crash bar just have to cut the bumper a little at the bottom will try and get some pics up in a min

Jay

Admin
So no-one (!?) has fitted one of these to an EP91 and retained the crashbar yet?

That's a surprise considering how many have been sold..

SiTRD

Member +
thats a bit of a worry then if these kits dont fit the ep91 correctly, suprised noone has sent them back saying that they are unsafe to use as they do not fit the car in basics. as i should think if you have an accident and the car is inspected and has no crashbar on the front i dont think you will be looking too hopeful..

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Is the crash bar visable from the engine bay or is it only visable with the bumper off? I get my car back tomorrow with a fmic fitted, I'll see if they've left the crash bar or taken it off.