Pics of my cracked SPS mani after 3 months....

tobiah

Member +
Ok let me qualify all of this... This according to Dane is the old style manifold - he doesn't sell these any more. If buying used make sure you buy the new one...

Ok so early this year i bought the SPS race coated and heat wrapped mani off a tgtt member who had never fitted along with a HKS actuator never fit.. All was well. Around june i got it put on my car...

After mapping a piece from inside the mani broke off went into my turbo... stopped the turbo working. Thankfully my mechanic found the piece and took it out... Turbo still worked :D Dane gave me £20 and asked me not to create a fuss as it was his old style mani's= fair play- (please remember I didn't buy from him- however the product was new when i fit it...)

About 1.5 months later the manifold cracked in the centre so I took it to my mechanic who had it welded up... (I thought was very premature for a crack) Dane gave me £20 again and said that he wouldnt give me anything else...

I kept quiet and knew that it was quite good of him considering I didn't buy from him- although it was a brand new product of his...

So about 1.5 months later - whilst I was in Scotland. My engine's making a weird sound... Im thinking oh no! Took to tuning developments (great service!) and they looked over my engine and did compression test all was Aok. They unwrapped the mani and that was my problem... loads cracks! Big ones...

This had been on my car about 3 months... I don't race don't drag etc and I was running standard CT9 at 1bar. I don't drive like I stole it...

Anyway I think it should have lasted longer and had it lasted a little longer I wouldn't have made this thread and would have kept quiet as dane requested- but I think its sufficient to warn against the old style SPS mani's...

Dane has been quite good in fairness... I don't want to put people off him but just thought it would be interesting for people to see and make sure you buy the NEW style mani. As for me I will use WEPR next time not SPS - but nothing personal.

Pictures of mani after 3 months fitted...

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Phil

Super Moderator
yeah one fell to pieces over here too, but id was months back so id imagine/hope it was the old stuff too.

heard plenty of good reports too!

Phil

tobiah

Member +
just thought would share... garage i've been to in past (won't name) has said they've seen several sps mani's crack prematurely... As soon as one of mechanics I was talking to heard my mani had cracked he said "was it an sps one?"...

Fizturbo

Member +
:eek: Nasty

Av had stuff of Dane an had no problems.

Bought a stainless steel manifold of Daveburwash an has been on car over 2 yrs an its still goin strong QUALITY! :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Is that mildsteel or stainless? Looks a bit funny, must be the wrap or something.

Was it definatly brand new and not just wrapped with brand new wrap to make it look nice :p

GaryGT

Member +
personally if it was coated i wouldnt have been heat wrapping it!!
that looks like a stress crack anyhows!! the manifold needs bracing
doesnt look the george best especially wit the Crow shite welds in the centre of the runners!!

350ep70gr

Member +
Looks like the wrap make it to chips like this all over the place.
And the weld in the midle where the runners come together dosent seem profesional to me.
Next time try titanium and one curved piece each runner..:p

Chris

sx_turbo

Lifer
do you have a braced decat?

it also looks like there has been majour oxidisation of the manifold, as thats very badly pitted.

saying that its cracked on the welds, so maybe it was poor qaulity welding.

but, i have heard of a few problems with danes original batch of manifolds, but his customer service has always been top notch

DavidAshton

Member +
Bit harsh taking 40 notes off Dane when you didnt even buy it off him then still coming on here to rip him even if it is months later.

tobiah

Member +
I'm not ripping Dane just warning against the old batch- thing is if I'd bought it new (or guy I'd bought it from had fit it) i'd be wanting a full refund so I don't think 40 notes I bad.

Was def brand new when bought...

Anyway knew this would make sparks lol

Texx

Super Moderator
Heat wrapping an already ceramic coated mild steel manifold? I'm not too surprised it's almost melted. What turbo and boost level were you running?

scot-ish

Member +
i bought a race coated one from a member on ere aswell, and will be fitting it this weekend, prob is from the first batch, and might fuck up, i want a zisco one anyway, so if it fucks, i'll buy a zisco one

oh, and the one i have bought has already been repaired on a small crack, prob paid over the odds, but bought it as one of my first buys, nevermind lol

lingl9z

Member +
That does look pretty bad but im sure Dane's stepped down from trading now anyways? he was a very good trader and great customer service too!

dan_ep82

Member +
thats cracked bacasue its been coated and wrapped, not becasue of poor welds tbh! but whoever done your first repair needs to learn howto weld

tobiah

Member +
It came heatwrapped when I bought- performance was good until it went anyway...

A brace decat may have helped

GT_Irl

Member +
ya, the point of the coating is too keep the heat in the mani. By thermal wrapping it its like doubly coating the mani..probably heated above its fail point (whatever grade of steel its made from/whatever temp it fails at) from heat spots

edit: Im probably just clutching at straws (so dont mind me!:)) as i have one of these manis myself...eeeek!

Last edited: