pistion rattel

karlyb

Fresh Recruit
hi guys, can anyone tell me if forged pistions rattle more than standered ones.. ive jst fitted ross pistions into my 98 glanza and its sounds fairly rattley.. i got some oil treatment to reduce engine noise, wonder will this help.. hope it will cause ive a boost controller ready to go into it and hope it wont fuck up me ross.. can anyone help me with this problem??

sx_turbo

Lifer
when cold they will rattle, but once hot they should sound like standard, obviously depending on the clearances used

karlyb

Fresh Recruit
yea when she is cold its really bad but once i drive it and warm her up a bit its dosnt seem as bad.. cheers for the help man..

Paul-GlzV

Member +
hav ross' fitted myself an they are noisy bitchs on a cold start up. it's nothin to worry abut just maks sure she's warm be4 u stick the toe in? i think they shrink slightly when cold an then expand when warm thus the funky noises goin away. also check oil once a day if possible i notice mine chewed oil somethin silly for 1st 1.5-2k?

I_<3_Boost

Member +
Mine wasnt to bad at all on oil, Ive done over 2k now and havent got spastic oil consumption, nor did I when running in.I guess thats down to ring gaps used.....

yes...the forge pistons will sound a bit more rattly when cold...as the others have said......most ly due to tollerances and the type of material they are made from, which may take a little longer to "expand"

and yes, its best to check the oil levels on forged set up, especially during the run in period......just to make sure

and i would recommend u NOT use that oil treatment....if u have already put it in your engine..i would suggest u drain your oil and put in new oil/filter