piston rings

johnny_k

Member +
iam doing a forged rebuild at the moment and iam at the stage of putting in my pistons and conrods.

iam using ross 74mm pistons. can any one tell me how much to file off the top 2 rings?

Aidan-G

Member +
you have to file the rings on the ross pistons,not sure on other makes but id presume so also,otherwise when they warm up theyl expand too much and you'l have problems:mad:

sx_turbo

Lifer
you have to file the rings on the ross pistons,not sure on other makes but id presume so also,otherwise when they warm up theyl expand too much and you'l have problems:mad:

this is correct, a few people have been caught out, you need to be very very careful.

it's not an easy thing to do

johnny_k

Member +
the 2 top rings come oversized and you have to file them to fit. i got a piece of paper with it but i cant understand it! could i use the end gap off the standard pistons?

profane

Member +
theres ought to be a better way with the ross pistons. thats something that should never be done.

ring butting only happens if its oversize. you just have to get the right rings.

profane

Member +
the 2 top rings come oversized and you have to file them to fit. i got a piece of paper with it but i cant understand it! could i use the end gap off the standard pistons?

if they came oversized than they are not for stock bore, which means you still could get the right size ones.

Aidan-G

Member +
if they came oversized than they are not for stock bore, which means you still could get the right size ones.

i think youd be better off bringing them to someone who knows what they are doing...

i wouldnt use the same gap as the standard rings,because there simply not the same!!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
this is the spec according to the sheet i got

bore size in inches (2.913 for you) x 0.004 (spec in book for top ring) + 0.004 (recommended for turbo)

= 0.015652

Bottom
bore size in inches (2.913 for you) x 0.005 (equastion in booklet for bottom ring) + 0.004 (again, for turbocharging)

= 0.018565

should give you your figures in thousanths of an inch

** don't take these figures as gospel! **

i've actually bought a ring grinding machine now, it was such a ballache to find someone who still gaps rings thesedays

Last edited:

Aidan-G

Member +
yea i guess your right, better let a pro at it! i thought theses would be a straight fit and thats it.

no even with the 74mm pistons you have will expand,you may need to get your bores measured too,just to be sure that when those pistons expand you dont rip the bores out of it

i think you should bring your block and pistons/rods to someone who knows what there at...just to be on the safe side...if you do it yourself the engine may only last 20minutes:(

johnny_k

Member +
this is the spec according to the sheet i got

bore size in inches (2.913 for you) x 0.004 (spec in book for top ring) + 0.004 (recommended for turbo)

= 0.015652

Bottom
bore size in inches (2.913 for you) x 0.005 (equastion in booklet for bottom ring) + 0.004 (again, for turbocharging)

= 0.018565

should give you your figures in thousanths of an inch

** don't take these figures as gospel! **

i've actually bought a ring grinding machine now, it was such a ballache to find someone who still gaps rings thesedays

would this sound correct

.397mm off the top ring and
.471mm off the second ring

iam going to get sombody to do it for me! ring grinders are very hard to find!

H

hoochhenry

does the ring fit into the engine block if so ,put an old ring off your pistons in the bore too and see the diferenace in the size with feeler gague

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
you can get them from america easy enough,

0.015652 inches = 0.3975608 millimeters

0.018565 inches = 0.471551 millimeters

according to the google translator (hope that's accurate! :homer: )

johnny_k

Member +
you can get them from america easy enough,

0.015652 inches = 0.3975608 millimeters

0.018565 inches = 0.471551 millimeters

according to the google translator (hope that's accurate! :homer: )

do you file that much off the ring or is that the gap that has to be between them when inserted into the bore?