piston size?

Johnboy GT

Member +
4E-FTEThe 1st generation 4E-FE was the basis of the 4E-FTE, appearing in 1989, which was a turbocharged engine producing 133 hp (99 kW) at 7000 rpm to 135 hp (101 kW) at 7200 rpm with 116 ft·lbf (157 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm. The 4E-FTE was the most powerful of the E series engines ever produced. It was produced exclusively for the Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (Japan Only) and its replacement, the Toyota Glanza V (Japan only). However the 4E-FTE was a very popular conversion engine by enthusiasts for many small Toyota cars such as the Corolla, Tercel and Paseo, which it fitted into with standard Toyota parts. The 4E-FTE differed internally from the 4E-FE only by its stronger forged crankshaft and connecting rods, lower compression pistons and different head gasket. It also featured a harmonic damper instead of a normal crankshaft pulley. The turbocharger fitted to the 4E-FTE was Toyota's own CT9 model, which featured an internal waste gate and had 2 modes: low (0.4 bar/40 kPa) and high (0.65 bar/65 kPa) boost. The low boost mode was electronically controlled by a solenoid valve and the ECU and the high boost was controlled by an actuator connected to the turbocharger. The 4E-FTE also had a top mounted, air cooled intercooler.The Yamaha designed cylinder head had the intake valve angle of the 4A-GE while retaining the 4E-FE exhaust valve angle. The 4E-FTE was mated to the Toyota C52 transmission (for the EP82 Starlet GT) and the C56 transmission (for the EP91 Glanza V). Although aftermarket parts could substantially increase the power output to 400 hp, the major limitation is the fuel injection system and the stock ECU.[citation needed]

Specs:
74 mm Bore
77.4 mm Stroke
8.2:1 Compression Ratio

4efteboost

Member +
cheers for that info mate but i still need to find a way to get the size just incase the engine has been bored out and has a bigger size piston than normall.
dont wanna buy the wrong size lol

Johnboy GT

Member +
then you'll need to take the head of bud. If its standard then its 74mm but if your unsure if theres work been done to it then best to strip it and check :)

4efteboost

Member +
ok cheers boys! was hoping i wouldnt have to take the head off but looks like my mechanic has got some more work to do lol does anyone know where i can get new conrod bolts? i was just trying to look for some but cant find any on camskill or tmdevelopments..

mork

Member +
Definitely head off job. There are 3 different sizes, with 74mm being the nominal. Each piston has the size stamped into it, mine has 3's. I think the block also has the matching number stamped into it, but I can't remember. The difference between size 1 & size 3 pisotns is not huge, it's all in the tolerances during manufacture. Modeern engines don't have different size pistons because they're better at controlling how they bore the block and manufacture the pistons, old engines tended to have more significant tool wear, hence the 3 sizes. Rings fit on all 3 sizes of piston.