Popping 5th

LewisEp

Fresh Recruit
Hi pretty new here and new to the starlet scene. I recently purchased a glanza and since I only got to test drive it in a cul de sac I never got it into 5th.
Since driving it for a few days on the motorway I've discovered that when cruising in 5th then putting my foot down it pops out of gear. It'll go in 5th fine and be fine when cruising it just seems to do it when I stick my foot down and boost up.

Does any one know what this could be or ever had this before?
I was thinking engine/ gear box mounting.

Thanks in advance

Rob H

Member +
It will be the 5th gear mate common problem with the starlet, it can be done with the box in the car but it's easyer to take the box out and take it for repair if you don't have the tools needed.

LewisEp

Fresh Recruit
Ah right ok I'll take it out and send it away to be done, my cousin's a mechanic and he knows a company that will do it.
Was hoping it was just a mounting tho, any idea on a price to get it done? Would it be cheaper to put a second hand box in?

Rob H

Member +
If the rest of the box feels good I would get it repaired because you may have the same problem with another box! It's the syncros/ selector hub that wears and makes it jump out of gear keeping your hand on the gear lever is the main cause for it. I would expect it to some where around 100 to 200 quid the bits them self are around 100 quid

LewisEp

Fresh Recruit
Oh right that doesn't sound to bad, I was expecting a £400 bill.
Cheers for that mate, I'll get it sorted asap

Jay

Admin
Also check the rear gearbox mount. If there's movement there you may find the same symptoms you are describing. I had it in a car I owned for a while.

Jay

Texx

Super Moderator
If your capable of removing a gearbox then you should find it easy enough to remove the 5th gear assembly. Check the mounts and shift linkage first, if everything appears to be OK then pull the end cover off the gearbox and check for any wear to the hub and shift fork. Honestly, it's not worth removing the box and giving it to someone else to repair if you only have an issue with 5th gear.

LewisEp

Fresh Recruit
I've removed a gear box before yeah, but never took one apart. I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at in there if I'm honest. Worth a try tho, I'll get it on the ramp over the weekend and check all the mounts etc.

Thanks for the help