Porting and polishing

Rich

Member +
Just wandered if anybody has done this on a gt and what else would be involved other than simply poting and polishing te head. Is it worth it.

Thanks

starlet666

Member +
more than worth it mate as i just got mine done and the exhaust ports stock are tiny and u can almost double them in size.... just leave the intake as is though

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
we've done it and it's made a significant improvement, giving around 15-20bhp with the standard turbo, but the gains will be more noticable on a bigger turbo

we've gone all out on mine, chambers have been enlarged, inlets have been slightly enlarged and knife-edged, exhausts have also been fettled and polished. we've also matched the inlet and exhaust manifold ports to the head.

note, these pictures show the ports not 100% finished, hence why there is some rough parts round the valve seats etc.

DSC01237.JPG

DSC01241.JPG

DSC01233.JPG

DSC001361.JPG

GTwayne

Member +
Very nice mate. Definately worth the extra cost, one of the first things I asked to be done to my engine.

monka

Member +
i thought there were a few opinions on this, people saying it wasnt worth it?

how much does it normaly cost?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
the 4e head is a good design as standard, and for most people, porting the head is not necessary, for example Gee is pulling 275bhp without head work, that's more power that you'll ever need ;)

but, headwork helps in other areas, my boost holds strong all the way through the revs now, spoolup time is also better.

but you're right, it's not really needed on this engine, i had it done because i happen to be good friends with a lad who is a feckin master at it :)

Rich

Member +
well i've got a spare head and all the air tools so im gonna give it a go. if it goes ok i wouldnt mind doing others on an exchange basis if people fancied paying for the delivery, abrasive and a bit on top for labour. I did it before on a 205xs and that went well just wasnt sure whether it would be worth it on the 4e but sounds like it will.

Would anyone be interested?

Rich

Member +
not sure mate. the kit cost me just under 40 quid last time but i'll see how mine goes then if anyone wants one im sure we could arrange a price and i wouldnt mind doing it.

Rich

Member +
and that does look like awesome work ^^^ what sort of setup was required after. did it have to be remapped or anything?

scottf493

Fresh Recruit
im interested in that rick but thing is i need to find a new head. Ive snapped one of the manifold bolts off :(
anyone know wheres the best place to start looking?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
and that does look like awesome work ^^^ what sort of setup was required after. did it have to be remapped or anything?

no setup as such, just a rolling road tune to check fuelling. my camera doesn't do it justice, it took hours of polishing to bring it up like that :)

scottf493

Fresh Recruit
its not just the bolt thats come off though pal its took part of the head with it and ive been told i can weld it but i dont really want to........ just incase
im very paranoid about things breaking lol
was just wonderin, seeing as the head would have to come off to be welded if i went down that route, would it just be as easy buy a new head have the work done then sell the other one or would it just be silly expensive