problem since engine swap

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
i changed my engine as the old one head got cracked.
i have an ep82 and i put a ep91 engine into it everything is connected back up but it wont start and the ignition comes on with out the key anyone any ideas ???

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
have checked there all grand noting out of place didnt touch them at all while the engine was being changed im cracking up with it at this stage.
the ignition works with the key when i bridge two points where the starter relay is but thats the most progress ive had sence was chatin you last

toyotagt

Member +
u didnt connect the earth wire on the left of the intake manifold, it goes on a 10mm bolt on the idle control valve..

toyotagt

Member +
did u check the big 50 or 100 amp fuses? and all the earths on the gearbox and engine mount? is the coolent temp sensor plugged in? cos i no the glanza ones are dirrerent to gt and that wil stop it from starting. no idea on y ignition stayin on, maybe the earths loose or broke a wire fitting engine

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
did u check the big 50 or 100 amp fuses? and all the earths on the gearbox and engine mount? is the coolent temp sensor plugged in? cos i no the glanza ones are dirrerent to gt and that wil stop it from starting. no idea on y ignition stayin on, maybe the earths loose or broke a wire fitting engine

i double checked there the 50 amp and the 80 are grand there isnt a 100??? if i remove the starter relay and bridge two points the ignition returns to normal but theres obv sumtin wrong as i shudnt need to do that the relay is grand though is very odd??. the earth ive connected are the two from the battery one goin to just under the battery connected to the body and the other goin to the gearbox mount. the earth to the icv is connected too. i swaped the sensor that was missing from the glanza engine onto it from the gt engine. i was thinking that and checked all wires but the only wire i found broke was the one for the brake fluid resivour and i reconnected that. ive been lookin over the wiring diagram for the 1st generation gt and everything seems perfect compared to that so im clueless?? i have 3 tps sensors aswell and tried to see did any of them work but none did and ones out of a glanza the other 2 are from 1st gen gt and 3rd gen gt.

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
anyone put a glanza engine into there gt come into problems??? ive done searching on the site but the common prob is just the tps and a sensor on the thermo stat housing noting relating to my problem sadly :-(

weeJohn

Lifer
When you say the ignition comes on without the key, do you mean the starter engages when the key is turned to position 1? If it is trying to start as soon as the key is in the barrel, try unplugging the rad fan and see if it still does it.

The earth from the rad fan is joined to the earth from the starter, if that earth is not properly bonded to the body, when the fan is switched on the power runs through the starter to get to earth, engaging it. Unplugging the fan will break that circuit and then you can work from there.

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
When you say the ignition comes on without the key, do you mean the starter engages when the key is turned to position 1? If it is trying to start as soon as the key is in the barrel, try unplugging the rad fan and see if it still does it.

The earth from the rad fan is joined to the earth from the starter, if that earth is not properly bonded to the body, when the fan is switched on the power runs through the starter to get to earth, engaging it. Unplugging the fan will break that circuit and then you can work from there.

right atm the positive of the battery is disconnected. when i put it on the fan comes on and the ignition comes on the starter DOESNT do a thing. this is with the key in my pocket so its not even in the barrel. i tried unplugging the fan and the only differenc is the fan doesnt come on. if i bridge two points where the starter relay it should go the igntion works and i reckon will bump start buts thats not really any good to me..

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Thats a really odd one mate, nothing specific I can think off that would cause that. There is another earth in and around the fuse box area that may need connected, if it is I would go round the engine bay and check that there are no wires nipped or damaged anywhere. Then unplug the 2 pin connector on the coil pack, then the 3 pin connector on the alternator and see if it still does it. It is powering up the AM1 circuit by backfeeding the current through another circuit that is linked to it by earth, but I cant suss out what circuit it is, either the circuit opening relay or the charging circuit.

Does the fuel pump run when it happens?

Last edited:

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
grand will do that tomoz but what will that show???
ya the fuel pumps working while this happens and noticed tonight there is a buzzing comin from the for the life of me i cant think of what its called even checked but cant find it its the box around the inlet mani that has one connector on it and two pipes ???

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
right took out both one at a time and together didnt make any difference car still wont start. bridged the wire on the starter relay the bottom one and the right one and the ignition works tried bump startin it and it didnt work... dnno what else to do have recheck all wires over and over everytin seems grand.. anyone any idea what to do next???

weeJohn

Lifer
On the relays the matching pairs are the opposite 2 of the 4 if you know what I mean, 2 are the coil of the relay and the other 2 are the switch, the pairs are opposite to each other, not beside each other, if you short out 2 that are not opposite each other you could short a circuit out and blow a fuse.

I still dont know why the ignition would come on on its own but, you dont have a turbo timer fitted do you?

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
On the relays the matching pairs are the opposite 2 of the 4 if you know what I mean, 2 are the coil of the relay and the other 2 are the switch, the pairs are opposite to each other, not beside each other, if you short out 2 that are not opposite each other you could short a circuit out and blow a fuse.

I still dont know why the ignition would come on on its own but, you dont have a turbo timer fitted do you?

sorry only gettin back to ya now car in garage gettin picked up today or tomoz depends when it ready really still wondering what is up with it??? i sort of get what your saying about the fuse.. ya i have a turbo timer but its working fine with it so i dont know???

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
got my car back from garage today.. i fried a wired under the dash and it melted to some other one cause problems with the fuel pump and the starter so thats that sorted. on another note i have noticed that all the vacum lines and boast lines are lining up differently now and some are not connected and the car is revving at 2000rpm havent had a proper look put if i put my fingers over some of them the revs reduce (have looked on other threads to see where to join them) will have to have a look in the day tomoz as flash light fucked. the clutch is also smokin and grinding really bad when push in anyone any ideas will have gear box off tomoz??

in case i wondered off a bit

1. got my car running but not right
2. boast and vacum lines off at the inlet mani
3. clutch smell of smoke when pressed and grinding noise

anyone any ideas chears for all the help so far :-D

did you line up the clutch properly and fit the relese bearing properly? bleed the clutch? try get pics up of them pipes and where they are so we can help you better

darckskullz

Fresh Recruit
did you line up the clutch properly and fit the relese bearing properly? bleed the clutch? try get pics up of them pipes and where they are so we can help you better

well the clutch is defo bleed properly not 100% on line up proper as far as i know it is goin takin gearbox tomoz to double check everything.. spent ages jackin up car with a screw driver today as i lost the bar and cudnt get a hold of a trolley jack.. the pipes i have sorted got a diagram on here but shop was closed before i got down to get pipes so will have to get tomoz.. i also noticed today that there is smoke comin out of the left hand pipe comin out of the rocker cover the one that the standard dump valve goes onto ne ideas on this???

def no cracked piston in that engine dude was a1 when removed, compression was 150psi on all 4, check the pcv valve on the very left of the inlet manifold (driver side) and make sure the pipe on the bottom of it is conected

Last edited: