progress in the enginr rebuild

jimmer

Member +
A few weeks ago it was decided that i would rebuild, so here is the progres so far.
and firstly i will say, anyone lookin a hand doin work on their car in N.Ireland, give chris (mi16chris) a shout, he IS clued in!! lol
chrisdoinhisbitlol.jpg

head.jpg

headout.jpg

bottomend2.jpg

enginebay.jpg

bottomend.jpg

that was gettin the engine out, then i had to strip it down to clean/polish/paint some parts to hopefully clean up the engine bay
DSC00178.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

let me know what ya's all think so far and any advice on anything else would be greatly appreciated!!! As in, what colours should i paint my water an coolant bottles, and anythin else that would redeem the engine bay at little bit lol.

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
very nice man!!

just wondering though, what oil where u using? that head looks horrible from the inside.. :eek:

Trevor

Member +
Rebuild

Looking good Jimmer.Personally I wouldn't paint the water bottles.Put them in a bucket of cold tea overnight apparantly it brings them up like new.I have never tried it though.

jimmer

Member +
well i wanted to do somethin to the bottles, didn't realise you can just clean them up, so will do that for sure.
used mobil 1 oil, wether that would be good or bad, but the engine did have over 100k miles on it, if that would make a difference? the oil left just wiped off, wasn't ground in or anything.
hopefully have the rebuild done within a month, just waitin for parts to arrive and take time doin it right
should be gettin the bearings next week chris, got a valve spring compressor so tomorrow i'll be grindin the valves and puttin the new valve stem oil seals in
oh yeah and the inlet manifold, REALLY BORING TO DO!!! lol takes ages :p

weeJohn

Lifer
That is the cleanest gearbox I have ever seen in my life.
Its to clean to put in.
Put it on the mantlepiece, dont think your Mum would mind at all!!!!!
Lookin good Jimmer

jimmer

Member +
loll i know, and it only took about 15 mins, good ol hammerite does the trick haha.
i in the middle of grindin the valves now, they weren't too badly coked up, but since they are out i'll get them gleamin lol.

jimmer

Member +
Started grindin the valves at the weekend there, and as far as i got i was pretty happy. Takes a while to do well, but its a satisfying job to do,
head-1.jpg

thats the way it started, lol
cleanheadpic.jpg

and this is with two of the cylinders nearly done. The valve seats have been done and are perfect, but the rest i'm cleanin for the sake of it lol. Any advice on what way to clean where the headgasket goes? There is still some lumps of the old one stuck on but don't wanna deform the shape of it or scratch it badly, so any ideas other people have use with great success would be much appreciated, cause it may cut the amount of time i spend in the garage lol.

jimmer

Member +
does anybody have an idea on how to take off the remains of the old head gasket from the old head which is like its welded on lol?
Also what would be the easiest and most effective way of cleanin out the inlet manifold and any water/oil ways?

fossie

Fresh Recruit
does anybody have an idea on how to take off the remains of the old head gasket from the old head which is like its welded on lol?
Also what would be the easiest and most effective way of cleanin out the inlet manifold and any water/oil ways?

Could you not just get the head skimmed mate while its off the car already.......probably easier and you know it will be a nice even surface!!!

But im not good at this stuff...

jimmer

Member +
don't really wanna get it skimmed mate to be honest. Had thought about it but a lot of people say they would take off more than ya need, which in turn will give it a higher compression, and thats the last thing i need lol. Cheers for contributing though man!

fossie

Fresh Recruit
don't really wanna get it skimmed mate to be honest. Had thought about it but a lot of people say they would take off more than ya need, which in turn will give it a higher compression, and thats the last thing i need lol. Cheers for contributing though man!

Well light grit sandpaper sounds the best option then mate....well to me anyways

jimmer

Member +
yeah thats what i was thinkin, like a high grade sandpaper or somethin. Just wondered if anyone had a ny good tips at all.

@goldenvtr - to clean the gearbox i just used a wirebrush then degreaser an elbow grease. Then stuck a lick of paint on it to see how it came up and i'm pretty chuffed lol.