Project Hilda - 1973 Hillman Imp

CTR_Timmy

Member +
well seeing as i not a paid member I dont have a members garage to post this in however I thought i would share my other little beast.

Her name is Hilda and she is a 1973 Hillman Imp. I brought her in July after falling in love with the Imps at Brands Hatch Classic Car Meet. It was offered to me by a gentlemen on the imp owners and was sat in a field for 2 years! She cost £150 and was a rolling shell however all she needed was bit of TLC and and engine :p

nuo12-1.jpg

nuo14-1.jpg

nuo13-1.jpg

She came with not just the standard IMP seats but pair of front XR2i seats as well. Once I took delivery of the beauty I decided where I intended to go with her. Do I take her back to her youth, track car, drag car, rally car the options were endless. So I came up with my master plan. She was going to be the fastest imp in the south. This was tough as i knew someone with a supercharged/turbocharged imp running 145bhp @ 500kg it flew.

So first job was to strip her out and see what she was like inside.

DSCF0546.jpg

DSCF0547.jpg

DSCF0548.jpg

DSCF0549.jpg

DSCF0550.jpg

Mate thinking life through!
DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

Mums brill aint they!
DSCF0557.jpg

Wheres my engine?
DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0561.jpg

Fiesta Seats
DSCF0562.jpg

Imp Seats
DSCF0567.jpg

So I sold the seats on ebay and made few quid. Then I saw this little beaut on ebay and gave me ideas

untitled-5.jpg

when stripping the car we noticed that the rear window sill had failed and their was a leak however inside there was no signs of huge rust just surface. And after inspecting the car we only found bit of rust on passenger door which is repairable.

I sourced the Monte Carlo graphics and got them made up with some black and silver bonnet no. plates.

So I had the graphics I had the car now was the engine. I joined the imp owners club shortly before buying the car and to my suprise I was offered a engine. The guy over 2 months gave me some advice on the engine he was selling with other parts. So me and the old man trecked up to Macclesfield one saturday in his new bmw estate to collect this engine. So my travels cost me £400 for an 875 cc engine, sport cam, zetec s front brake disc conversion kit and my twin stromberg carbs. Engine was mint and is only missing few bits to get her going. As some of you keen eyes have seen she is RWD! :rockon::

Got engine home and found a oil leak coming from the sump. Luckily we put sheets down in boot or ill be dead! After examining leak found out that sump seal has failed oh well.

My mate came back over to help with the brakes and after a saturday spent in a locked garage we managed to get the drivers discs done. And he also managed to break my cam carrier lol! i also refurbished the seat rails as i didnt want to spend out if didnt need to. they came out like new.

So works over Christmas is..... fit new sport cam carrier, fit passengers discs, lower front on monte carlo springsd and spaxx adjustable shocks, fit bonnet pins, source gear box and fit clutch slave kit.

So here is what i intend to do over my 2 year project.

Interior
Stripped out with roll cage, 2 bucket seats, modern gauges, painted white interior and harnesses

Exterior
Painted in aquarious blue (what she is now), white roof, white go faster stripe on side, monte carlo graphics

Handling
13" Mini lites in gold, front and rear monte carlo lowering springs with spaxx adjustable shocks, fiesta zetec s sport disc conversion

Engine
875cc imp engine bored out to 900cc, stage 2 turbo charger kit from Ktec racing (yes reggy 5 turbo kits fit!), uprated radiator, intercooler.

i will keep you guys posted thanks for reading!

sx_turbo

Lifer
hope you have plenty of cooling in store for that, as they were renowned to over head ;)

an awsome project though dude, imps look awsome when done up seen a couple of them around essex

oh and they handle much better with a full tank of fuel lol,

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I am going to put a front mounted rad instead of the rear rad and having custom fuel tank to add bit weight to the nose

Trevor

Member +
Imp

That brings back some memories.It looks like a good solid shell.If it were me i'd be tempted to see how well it would go with a 4efte stuck in the back.

sx_turbo

Lifer
lol@trev

tim, an electric water pump would be very helpful with that as the stock water pump alone would struggle to push the water round that far. (you've probably thought of that already)

CTR_Timmy

Member +
i did think about putting a 4fte in but there is no room in the bay for it :(

i know i got alot of work to do lol