Quality of Blue Print Brakes??

Airswoosh1

Fresh Recruit
What is the quality like for Blue Print automotive products? I am particularly interested in their line of brakes. I was going to pickup a set of rear discs from them, but wasn't sure if I'd be kicking myself later for getting a cheap product. So anyone have any experience with them??

Jay

Admin
Only used the rear pads from them myself. No discernable difference from stock rear pads inside the 20,000kms I used them for.

dac69er

Super Moderator
What is the quality like for Blue Print automotive products? I am particularly interested in their line of brakes. I was going to pickup a set of rear discs from them, but wasn't sure if I'd be kicking myself later for getting a cheap product. So anyone have any experience with them??

every blueprint product i have had has been excellent quality and has fitted as good as oem.

i have no problems with using them at all.

Sigma

Member +
Front pads take some right abuse!

Mine set on fire after well over an hour of utter and complete overuse!

Great product.

GTti

Member +
They're made to comply or exceed OE standards, so they'll be better than the stock pads available from Toyota. I've quoted a guy from the DaiHard froums, I think he works in designing brake pads so gave this nice info on one of my threads.

We have a very different brake pad market here in Aus than what you guys have in Europe.

European OE pads are, by Australian standards, more like race pads. They have the performance necessary to do a couple of consecutive hard stops from Autobahn speeds. The trade off is that they're dirty, noisy, and wear quickly (compared to what we get instead).

Australian OE pads are built for comfort, using Japanese-style materials. They're quieter, cleaner, and less aggressive. They'll survive a fair few stops from somewhat higher than our 110km/h legal limit, but they're nowhere near the performance of European pads. There's no need, so no need for the trade-offs that come with performance.

When Jap cars are exported to Europe, they put OE Euro-spec pads on them. The same cars sold in Japan, Australia or USA get lower performance (more comfortable) OE pads.

European aftermarket pads must be E-code certified. They must be tested and confirmed to be within a few % of OE. So any aftermarket pads made for the European market will be pretty solid performers.

For the Australian aftermarket, if it looks like a brake pad and smells like a brake pad, it's a brake pad. There's no regulation. So we get all types: high performance (noisy dusty fast-wearing) Euro-spec pads, clean and comfortable Aus/Jap-spec pads, and some brakepad-shaped objects from China and India which you wouldn't put on your mother-in-law's car.

Lucas, TRW and most Ferodo pads are designed for the European market. They don't sell well in the Australian mainstream market because they're noisy and dirty. They're high in performance, by Australian standards.

Europeans taking high-performance brake pad recommendations from Australia is like the French taking cheese recommendations from an American. I'm sure you can buy some half decent cheese in America, just like you can buy some good brake pads in Australia, but we're comparing against a much lower baseline.

Lucas pads are cheap, and they perform better than the majority of what passes for brake pads in Australia. They are a fairly average Euro-style material, not much different to everything else you'll get off the shelf in Euroland.

tim

assuming, through his own ignorance, that the UK follows E-code regulations

I have blue print discs and pads on the front of the Starlet and they're fine for normal road use.

Last edited:
Some of the cheaper stuff can squeal its tits in. Especially that solid ace stuff,there pads are SHITE! Had them on the civic,constant noise,tryed everything to stop it,just had to lump it :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
^^^^ my pagid pads did that, they should have been decent!?!? have blueprint front pads now and they are great ;)

fitted a blueprint cambelt kit to my runabout starlet yesterday and it was very good quality and fitted a treat!