Quinn Direct don't have a clue

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Basically I have been insured through quinn direct since I was 18, and note it was declared properly as a Glanza V import. My mum was the main driver while I was 18 and was paying around £1200 tpft. Since then I am now 20 and on my own name and currently paying just over £1100 which is pretty good if you ask me...

problem...

had my eye on a 1992 Gt turbo and phoned up to see how much, if anything it would be to move the insurance onto the gt but she told me they where unable to quote me on this car until I was 21 ???

Yet I have been insured with them on my own name since I was 19 on a glanza?!?

Do Quinn Direct really know what car they are insuring me on? Do me it sounds like they don't know they are basically the same car, but different year and facelift model? To me they don't seem to know they are turbocharged??

Anyone else had any experiences like this?

sanchez

Member +
When i was looking for insurance for my GT when i was 18, i called quinn first as i was with them since was 17 with my first car a saxo vtr, but when i called they said they wouldnt insure me on it till i was 21 so wasnt happy.

So next i tried a few comparison sites, entered all my details and car details correctly, and guess what, quinn direct was top of the list and cheapest, so i think iirc i just went with that and heard nothing else about it..

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I also noticed on some of the comparison websites, I think in particular moneysupermarket.com, there was the option of 1990 - 1995 starlet gt 1331cc or 1990 - 1995 Starlet Gt Turbo 1298cc

Ive never heard of the 1298cc engine in a gt turbo? and is there a 'GT' ? A bit confusing...

ktl

Member +
its to do with the BHP... they wont insure people or they say anything over 120-130hp under 21....

Lucky for me i went with Bell, and paid £1000 fully com at age of 19 own name :)

22 this yhear and going down to 650 yahooooo :D

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be due to you insurance fronting to begin with. if you just changed the named driver round to yourself then they will probably keep you insured on it. i wouldnt be surprised if they said the same thing if you told them you wanted to insure a different glanza with them from scratch as the main driver.

insurance companies are strange.

Jay

Admin
Not surprised in the slightest buddy. Quinn are hopelessly inconsistent with such things, they won't have a clue or give a damn if a quote makes sense or not. I suffered several long years of their BS for the sake of saving a few quid.

Ring them back and get another quote. Bet you get someone else and the answer will be different lol.

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
its to do with the BHP... they wont insure people or they say anything over 120-130hp under 21....

Lucky for me i went with Bell, and paid £1000 fully com at age of 19 own name :)

22 this yhear and going down to 650 yahooooo :D

your lucky yours is going down. im 26 and mine is going up :(

ktl

Member +
i know, i seen alot of threads and everyone is going down. I only did a quote to see roughly and yeah its 900 now, but will shoot down the 650 via online... how much are you paying now then ?

RS-Ronan

Member +
I'm insured with Quinn on my GT since i was 17!fair enough i was paying close to 4000 initially,but its gone down to 1700 now that i have a years ncb,full license and my "girlfriend" on the policy.
i tried getting a quote on a Glanza and not a hope will they quote me!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i know, i seen alot of threads and everyone is going down. I only did a quote to see roughly and yeah its 900 now, but will shoot down the 650 via online... how much are you paying now then ?

about £100 less than you. its a restricted mileage policy as well, and the car is kept in a locked garage.

Mark-Stranraer

Fresh Recruit
they weree cheapest for me to,

but when i phoned up to give card details they said they wont cover me cuase cars over 20 years old :(

kellygt

Member +
I'm insured with Quinn on my GT since i was 17!fair enough i was paying close to 4000 initially,but its gone down to 1700 now that i have a years ncb,full license and my "girlfriend" on the policy.
i tried getting a quote on a Glanza and not a hope will they quote me!!

They have to quote you on a Glanza get in contact with the insurance ombudsman and report them, I had problems with Quinn this year my insurance was 980 euro last year and they wanted 980 euro again this year to renew it so I had a few words with them and they werent kind one's let me tell you and they dropped my insurance to 580 euro for the year with my Girlfriend named for free on the policy

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Not surprised in the slightest buddy. Quinn are hopelessly inconsistent with such things, they won't have a clue or give a damn if a quote makes sense or not. I suffered several long years of their BS for the sake of saving a few quid.

Ring them back and get another quote. Bet you get someone else and the answer will be different lol.

Jay

they really are strange... I had my girlfriend added as a named driver earlier in the year, who at the time was 19 on a provisional licence, no NCB etc for no extra charge :confused:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
PMSL!!!! I just got my renewal through, was for £490 which is fine.

Just to be cheeky I thought I would go onto their website and type in my details for a quote and see if it was cheaper.

29 year old 3 years NCB no points Third party fire and theft, they wanted £2225!!!!!

malcolmgt

Member +
got mine at 19, paid 1100 for it, now at 22 with a years no claims its £500 full comp. :)

got to remember it all depends on areas etc too. i live in a nice quiet village :)

Quinn Direct a load of tools. I had an R32 Gt-r and rang them and asked them for a quote to transfer my insurance from my Glanza and there was no problem but I rang back a couple of days later to take out the policy and they point blank refused to insure me on the car. They proceeded to give a list reasons as to why they wouldn't insure me and as I argued with them against each point they finally settled on the fact that a 1990 R32 GT-R didn't exist, that they didn't come out till 1992. I started roaring laughing at her on the phone, said I was actually sitting in a 1990 GT-R at that very second and that they in fact came out in 1989. She said "No they didn't, it says on my computer that they didn't come out till 1992", Thats when I knew I was going to get nowhere with this woman but I continued anyway. I continued to make my case and explained that the man I was previously had no problem insuring me and knew exactly what car I was trying to insure, he even stated "They are a lovely car" so to that she said that I would have to send them the original log book and then and ONLY then they would CONSIDER it but that her recommendation would be not to insure me on the car. I said "Yere a fuck joke" and hung up. I rang them back the next day and cancelled my insurance with them

corofin12345

Member +
got mine at 19, paid 1100 for it, now at 22 with a years no claims its £500 full comp. :)

got to remember it all depends on areas etc too. i live in a nice quiet village :)

i live in the sticks in the west coast of ireland about 2 miles from the nearest village with car locked up every night and they still wanted 2600euro off me and im 27... im paying 490euro fully comp now with my gf as named driver with aviva