Reading Spark Plug Conditions

Glanza_K31

Member +
As above i would just like a second opinion on reading my spark plugs, i wont go into details of my setup just so it doesnt sway your opinion.

is there anything wrong with the condition they are in??

plug1.JPG

plug2.JPG

plug3.JPG

many thanks
kei

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
looks a little to whiteish to me... ideally u want a dark brownish plug colour... anything lighter than that hints to a leanish condition..

sx_turbo

Lifer
it's supposed to be a grey colour.

most people drive in lean conditions, as it's idling stuck in traffic, or just cruising round the town at 30, or cruising down the motor way.

if it was being ragged around all the time it would be expected to be a lot browner as it would be running richer.

HYBRID

i was thinking slightly lean too. mine are a brownish colour

like that

thats more like it, y is one a differnt colour Ian? they all look ok, is it coz of the reflection of the sun on the plug on the left? but yes thats how u want plugs to look ideally :)

kon

Glanza_K31

Member +
cheers for the input guys, its spot on what i first thought, a bit lean but whats really got me confused is that my car stinks of unburnt fuel (rich)?????

it's supposed to be a grey colour.

most people drive in lean conditions, as it's idling stuck in traffic, or just cruising round the town at 30, or cruising down the motor way.

if it was being ragged around all the time it would be expected to be a lot browner as it would be running richer.

Again as ricks explain is pretty much dead on, i dont rag my car very much, do long journeys cruising if not its traffic and 30mph areas. now im really confused.....

HYBRID

cheers for the input guys, its spot on what i first thought, a bit lean but whats really got me confused is that my car stinks of unburnt fuel (rich)?????

Again as ricks explain is pretty much dead on, i dont rag my car very much, do long journeys cruising if not its traffic and 30mph areas. now im really confused.....

The propper way to get a reading off plugs is have a 3rd or 4th gear to redline, park (instantly) & pull a plug out.. then u can read the plugs :) if u do it after normal driving it should show up more on the lean side.. or if ur running very rich it will show up as black...

try that & report back m8!
kon

sx_turbo

Lifer

some people confuse a hot smell (lean) with running rich.

or it could be running rich on boost, which is good, but most of your driving is done in lean conditions i.e cruising.

i personally dont think you have anything to worry about, but it might be worth just spending the £40 for a health check down the rollers

Glanza_K31

Member +
@ kon: thanks i will give it a go

@ ricky: yeah definately will do mate but as you know its getting together the money, i prefer to do it all in one go i.e. health check plus power run. a seriously cracked mani aint helping lol

@ dub: cheers for pic as reference.

rep added to all those who helped out.... good times! :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
the health check is also a part of the power run, if you can make it last till the shoot out day you wont have to pay for it.

hope you manage to get it sorted soon though mate

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
mine are super black running rich all the time :S 4bar of fuel! need to put a new clutch and set it up

ryan_v

Lifer
if hes worried that they his car is fueling wrong he should get the air fuel ratio checked. plugs look white to me, burning to hot/lean.