REALLY annoying whistle when accelerating! EP82

AdamF

Member +
Hey,

This is slowly getting louder and subsequently more irritating!

There is a really odd whistle which sounds like it's coming from the dashboard, it only happens when accelerating (gently as well as hard acceleration) but the minute the turbo kicks in it goes away!

Any ideas? Pre boost dashboard whistle? Pretty sure it's nothing majorly mechanical but it's really winding me up!

Thanks

Adam

nistarbo

Member +
I wouldnt be experienced enough to pinpoint it but maybe a leaky dumpvalve or slight crack in manifold or something along those lines.
hope it helps

dac69er

Super Moderator
if its from the dash then could be your boost gauge pipe has a split in it (if you have one).

otherwise it will be a boost leak from somewhere.

AdamF

Member +
Thanks for quick replies.

Manifold has been recently welded so doubt it's that. It sounds like it's from the glove box area but the boost gauge is wired up the right hand side of the car.

Glad we've identified what it potentially is...

Adam

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
does your boost gauge have a pressure sender and wires that go to the gauge or a pipe? if its a pipe, then it could have been poked through behind the glove box somewhere and run along behind the dash to the gauge.

nicholai

Member +
Hi buddy,

It will like most have said be your dump valve leaking ever so slightly as it is the same on my leon cupra R you can hear a leak so I would either rebuild it or get a new one.

Jay

Admin
Has this only started?

If so try to track back to what was done around the time that might be related. I know my turbo whistles a bit before it warms up but I've no intake piping on which makes it more pronounced.

Jay

AdamF

Member +
Im convinced its either in the dash or very close to the bulkhead.

Nah jay been doing it a while now, defo got worse, nothing had been done at the time other than a few long motorway runs.

Im on a meshed turbo, i'm quite sure it has nothing to do with that.

Jay

Admin
With a meshed inlet you can hear the spool up quite well. If there is any play in the impellor shaft or even a chip on one of the blades it can make it louder too.

That's not to say you haven't got a split in a vacuum pipe or something though. Have a scan along all the piping just in case.

AdamF

Member +
Turbo is fresh from the refurbers, re shafted, bearings etc. Defo not the turbo as the noise was there on the old turbo.

Reckon its a boost pipe, makes sense. Just need to find out where :(