rear brake calipers

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
the GT failed on the handbrake, so i took it to kwik fit and they told me that the rear calipers are worn and need replacing, i was wondering if this is a common problems with GT's? and if any1 else has had this problem.

i have had the rear brake pads changed and they hv only done about 5 miles, would this affect the handbrake? coz i know that pads are meant to be worn in and are more effective after about 100 miles.

also would the glanza's rear calipers fit the GT(1995)?

thanks

Simon

sx_turbo

Lifer
more than likely it's the handbrake cables.

you can get the calipiers rebuilt it will take a week for this though

glanzanut

Lifer
yeah my glanza failed the handbreak test on mot and it was the caliper not the cables. the easy way to tell is when on the rollers it will show if its weak on 1 side or both! my passengers side was fine but drivers weak

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah my glanza failed the handbreak test on mot and it was the caliper not the cables. the easy way to tell is when on the rollers it will show if its weak on 1 side or both! my passengers side was fine but drivers weak

means nothing it could be caliper or cable, both of which are shit on starlets.

and there is 2 cables on the starlet one for the left side one for right side

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
thanks for the feedback guys, do u know where i can get the calipers rebuilt from n how much? dont really fancy buying them for 200 quid each from toyota.

the cable has been adjusted and the mot guy said its definitely the caliper, so i think i will try the caliper before replacing the cables.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Had the same problem. Think im gonna have to get mine looked at as it barley holds on any hill. Hate the brakes/handbrake on my GT

Elaine

Lifer
This is a really good thread as I have the same issue!!

Where can you go localy to get these looked at???

Thanks E :)

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
This is a really good thread as I have the same issue!!

Where can you go localy to get these looked at???

Thanks E :)

i got my MOT done at the local garage, but went to kwik fit where they had a look at it for me, n it didnt cost anything to look. but they did wanna charge me 350 for 1 caliper, when they cost 200 from toyota.