rear brake inbalance

ryan_v

Lifer
I took the glanza up for a mot retest last nite after failing on the foot pedal for the rear brakes there is a inbalance of 59% to the rear left.

Things I done before the retest:

Calipers off and the pistons move freely on both side.
Sanded the discs down and pads
Copper greased the back of the pads
Checked the handbrake cables and there free
Took it for a drive and pumped the brake pedal then adjusted the handbrake

The only thing that I noticed wrong was the handbrake was adjusted wrong. It was screwed on a little bit. The only thing I didnt do was bleed them.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Can almost bet it will be air in the system, have you recently changed the fluid to ensure its not that?

My rear brakes where struggling to hold the car on any type of hill. We took the handbrake cable off the calipers, re-bled them and pumped the handbrake mechanism and the difference was night and a day.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Use Toyota DOT 5.1 - the best stuff you can get as a brake fluid. 1L would be more than enough.

The rear should be well balanced as ABS brake both wheels at the same time even though each one of them have an individual sensor. Unless of course you have some problems like Seized caliper for example -)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Things I done before the retest:

Calipers off and the pistons move freely on both side.
Sanded the discs down and pads
Copper greased the back of the pads
Checked the handbrake cables and there free
Took it for a drive and pumped the brake pedal then adjusted the handbrake

Unless of course you have some problems like Seized caliper for example -)

ryan_v

Lifer
Failed mot for the 6th time tonite, the calipers have been changed so its not them. must be something to do with the abs box or the thing on the bulk head with 4 brake lines going into.

Any one have any ideas or a diagram of the brake pipe layout?

Paul_JJ

Member +
So what is exactly happening to the car? why a fail?

AS far as I know, the ABS on the rear brake both wheels at the same time, even though each wheel have an individual sensor. I have all the diagrammes in my book, need to know what is the exact year/month of your car?

ryan_v

Lifer
its breaking 1.64kn on one side and 0.92kn on the other. I am going to replace the brake proportioning valve on the bulk head to see if it fixes it. Its a 97 glanza with abs.

ryan_v

Lifer
im gonna replace this and see if it makes a difference

Untitled-1.jpg

ryan_v

Lifer
Just so everyone knows, that valve on the bulkhead fixed the inbalance of the rear brakes when I replaced it.