Relocation kit effect

GP82

Member +
Oil pump operation?

I have the oil filter positioned about a foot (30cm) above where it originally used to be housed. I have used one meter length's of oil hose so the oil pump will have to move the oil one meter to get to the oil filter then return back another meter. Will there be any adverse effects to the oil pressure?

I'm jus' abit worried about cold starts because the turbo receives it's supply of oil after the oil has been filtered.

munday

Member +
Oil pump operation?

I have the oil filter positioned about a foot (30cm) above where it originally used to be housed. I have used one meter length's of oil hose so the oil pump will have to move the oil one meter to get to the oil filter then return back another meter. Will there be any adverse effects to the oil pressure?

I'm jus' abit worried about cold starts because the turbo receives it's supply of oil after the oil has been filtered.

Pressures will be highest when cold mate :)

I cant see an extra metre of hose causing any adverse effects on oil pressure :rockon:

sx_turbo

Lifer
providing you fill the oil filter up with oil first before you fit it, it will be perfectly fine, also spin the car over without the efi fuse plugged in to get the oil pressure up

GP82

Member +
Ok so everything was installed, i disconnected the power to the fuel pump and just cranked the engine over in three reps for a duration of ten second's each time to get the oil up and in around the engine.

Reconnected the fuel pump and started her up, ran to the front of the car to see for any leaks, so far it's ok on idle. I went back inside the car and i see the dreaded oil lamp light on.

I have an oil pressure gauge which is getting it's feed from the remote oil filter end of the relocation kit. It was reading 3kg/cm2 (43psi) on idle. Is this ok or too low oil pressure at idle? Should i disregard the oil lamp light on the cluster? The oil line are one metre in length's, has the oil pressure gone down because of the distance the oil now has to travel?

I have looked at the setup twice to make sure everything was plumbed in correctly and everything is as it should be.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Ok so everything was installed, i disconnected the power to the fuel pump and just cranked the engine over in three reps for a duration of ten second's each time to get the oil up and in around the engine.

Reconnected the fuel pump and started her up, ran to the front of the car to see for any leaks, so far it's ok on idle. I went back inside the car and i see the dreaded oil lamp light on.

I have an oil pressure gauge which is getting it's feed from the remote oil filter end of the relocation kit. It was reading 3kg/cm2 (43psi) on idle. Is this ok or too low oil pressure at idle? Should i disregard the oil lamp light on the cluster? The oil line are one metre in length's, has the oil pressure gone down because of the distance the oil now has to travel?

I have looked at the setup twice to make sure everything was plumbed in correctly and everything is as it should be.

43psi on idle when car was cold? WAY TOO LOW!! idle and cold your looking at 60/65psi

GP82

Member +
3kg/cm2 (43 psi) is when the car is upto temperature, from cold start the gauge is 4.2kg/cm2 (60 psi) so it all sound's good. I also checked to see that the oil is flowing to the oil filter and returning and it is, but the oil light on the cluster had me worried. What else could set it off? I've heard there is an oil pressure switch somewhere?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
ah all rite so that is perfect.

check the oil pressure sensor on the block next to the clutch slave cylinder. could be wire is off and touching the block so its earthing or the switch itself is dead.

GP82

Member +
ah all rite so that is perfect.

check the oil pressure sensor on the block next to the clutch slave cylinder. could be wire is off and touching the block so its earthing or the switch itself is dead.

Yeah, phew, ok so the pressure is fine then. I jus' been out to look at the oil pressure sensor on the block, it's in the block, but there is no wire attached to it and thinking back, i have never seen a wire attached to the sensor? Should there be?

Gtstu

Member +
should be a wire with a slide on connector it probably there and being earthed out causing your oil light to come on

GP82

Member +
should be a wire with a slide on connector it probably there and being earthed out causing your oil light to come on

Ok, i have gone out and had another look. I cannot see a wire anywhere near the pressure switch on the block, and as far as i remember i have never seen any wiring attached to the switch. Where does the wiring come from in the engine bay? Does it come out one of the wiring looms, which one? Thanks!

GP82

Member +
Ok, thanks guys! I have jus' gone out again and had another look for the connecting wire to the oil pressure switch. I can see two connectors coming out the loom which also carries the O2 wiring. One is a grey connector with two female pins, the other is a white connector with a single male pin. Which one is the connection for the pressure switch :confused:

I am also sure that abit of the wire is missing, the part that actually connects to the switch itself does not seem to be there. I think i will have to hardwire it once i can figure out which is the right connector for the pressure switch?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
im not sure on the colour of the wire but its the single wire and the connection slides on the switch top! should be fine