Residue from trim panel

JDR33

Member +
I've taken off the plastic trim today on my solida, amongst doing other bits and bobs on her to keep me entertained.

I can't seem to get rid of the left over furry/residue on the panels.
I tried "sticky stuff" and then some warm soapy water (that's all I had) neither did anything.

I've picked at it with my nails but it's no use. What would you guys recommend?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Assuming it's dried on glue from the panel tape stuff, then I have heard a caramel wheel is the best thing to take that off. Not used one myself though, so can't say how successful it will actually be.

JDR33

Member +
Rings a bell, I thought it was just a substance used to clean motherboard circuits any other delicate components.

SKINY

Lifer
I've used it on both the GT and Caldina dashboards to remove residue, cleans up after taking stickers off too.
Excellent for cleaning glassware too :)

i've used 3M Adhesive Remover..i found it worked great on the relatively new tape/residue after removing decals/emblems (newish vehicle, less than 1 year),,,but lent it to a friend and he indicated it didn't work on the older tape/residue after removing stickers/emblems (older vehicle, 3 years)

back then, when i was researching, some people on the internet used various things such as wd40, water/vinegar mix, heat gun (caution needed)

i'd suggest that you put some heat to the area/residue you plan to work on before you start...in the Caribbean that's easy, i just parked in the sun for a few minutes, but your weather may not be great for that depending on the time of the year...so try a hairdryer or heat gun if you have access to those (again, be careful with a heat gun)...you just want the surface/residue warm to the touch as it softens up the residue