revs sticking

Rumel786

Member +
Right guys, this is kinda hard to explain, basically in ONLY first gear when i reach quite high revs (3500rpm or above) if i put the clutch down to change gear the rpm just sticks there (sticks at whatever the rpm was at before engaging the clutch) & it doesnt wanna come out of gear, i either have to wait a few secs (around 2-3 secs) or while the clutch is down give it slight throttle then it biulds up rpm & starts coming back down & then i can change gears.

I know my car was slightly crunching in second but dont have a clue what this problem could be???

Anyone?

Rumel786

Member +
Wheres the pcv valve located? what do i clean it with?

As for the throttle body i recently changed it to an anodised one, but still having this problem. Also if the cable was loose would it only stick in first gear at high revs and no other gears??

ryanerak

Member +
just wondering because ive heard of quite a few cases of starlets sticking in gear recently including mine and they all seem to have exedy clutches in? Will be taking my box out in the next week or so to try to sort the problem but im fairly certain it has to do with the clutch, not the gearbox or anything to do with the throttle. The bit i dont get is why they only seem to stick in one gear, yours is sticking in 1st & finding it difficult to get 2nd sometimes? mine sticks in 2nd and has trouble going into 3rd. Either clutch problems or i guess could be gear cables?

ryanerak

Member +
How would the idle control valve make the revs stick only when trying to go from 1st to 2nd? Surely it would affect the car 100% of the time?

lleey2k4

Member +
Mine did it in 1st and 2nd but mainly in 1st over a certain rpm and cleaned it out and been fine since just an idea.

nexia201

Member +
just wondering because ive heard of quite a few cases of starlets sticking in gear recently including mine and they all seem to have exedy clutches in? Will be taking my box out in the next week or so to try to sort the problem but im fairly certain it has to do with the clutch, not the gearbox or anything to do with the throttle. The bit i dont get is why they only seem to stick in one gear, yours is sticking in 1st & finding it difficult to get 2nd sometimes? mine sticks in 2nd and has trouble going into 3rd. Either clutch problems or i guess could be gear cables?

thats clutch problem then after trying to put it in gear and find it hard as you said for some time you end up bending the gear selector cable but you will notice that when it happens cos all the gears will be hard to put in

ryanerak

Member +
was breaking a mk1 Gt a while ago, still have the gear cables so might try changing them at some point also, before breaking it never crunched or anything into gear, i already have the gearbox out of it in mine so might swap the cables to see if thats helps aswell