rx7 vs mr2

gta001

Member +
as the title says which car is the best of the two? i would like that your opinions would consider the car as a whole package not for looks only, performance only, etc. pls don't be biased by the fact that we do all own already a toyota. i like them both but would be one hell of a problem if i would ever be getting one!!

FerryScoob

Member +
I would have the RX7 great looking car and good performance from it, but I would be prepared for the re-build that it will require.
I think the MR2's look a bit dated now.

Gee

Member +
Rex.

Put £5000 aside for a rebuild if you plan on keeping it for a while. Sort the cooling and get a V mounted setup also.

gta001

Member +
4-1 for the rex if i counted well. come on guys give ur opinions. this thread could become very interesting. they are practically almost on the same level 4 me coz the rex is super sexy even in standard form, the mr2 is a bit less. performance wise the rex is about 237bhp and the mr2 rev3 240bhp(correct me if i'm wrong on figures) so they are pretty much equal.as for reliability i think the mr2 is better than the rex coz of the rebuild.

Why do the RX7 need rebuilt?? And i take it you mean rebuild the engine?? And £5000 that is really steep, how come soo much?? Just curious thats all because I like RX7's.
Christy

gv1.3

Admin
people say the rotary engines need a rebuild around 70k... and there aint lots of places to get them rebuilt so it can be expensive... but 5k stg seems very steep to me... ive head 4k euro gets a rebuild.

Ive also been told that the engines are like any other in that if they are tuned poorly and not maintained they die but if looked after they are fine.

rickie

Member +
4-1 for the rex if i counted well. come on guys give ur opinions. this thread could become very interesting. they are practically almost on the same level 4 me coz the rex is super sexy even in standard form, the mr2 is a bit less. performance wise the rex is about 237bhp and the mr2 rev3 240bhp(correct me if i'm wrong on figures) so they are pretty much equal.as for reliability i think the mr2 is better than the rex coz of the rebuild.

There are so many versions of the rx7 . Check out how many http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7. Most that are around are not the very first 236bhp models either.

rickie

Member +
The very first rexs in 1993 even had 255bhp. It was only the first rexs in australia that had 236bhp.

Rich

Member +
The rebuilds are so expensive because the rotor tips have to be replaced on top of everything else. i'd still go for the rx though

p2d

Member +
Id have a rex, stupidly sexy, crazy fast, and a damn sight less-seen than an MR2, i havnt seen an RX7 this year! and a fair while into last year too since i saw one. The engine on a Rex doesnt 100% have to be rebuilt at 70k, not even close. Its like any other engine, treat it well and look after it and it'll do twice that before a rebuild.

Its a very very common pub rumour about the Rex being unreliable, needing expesive rebuilds and such. It's just as reliable as any engine, you just need to use common sense, its a sports car, so it will naturally be expensive to maintain, but so will an MR2.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
I would rather the MR2.. as ive said many a times i wouldn't buy a REX however gorgeous they are....

I also have experience in the MR2 as a few mates have had them and also my bro had one very recently, a REV 3... And they are dam fast cars even in standard form..... 200hp per tonne.... a few minor mods they are running 300HP then well, you have yourself a proper machine..... They also have that aggressive appeal about them, whilst the rex is too sleek for my liking... so pretty to look at though.... Not sure weather i wana drive it or F**k it :homer: .. That isnt right.....

Monkfish

Member +
I'd have the MR2, easily.

I don't have anything against the FD really, I love them and I think they are stunning cars with some massive tuning potential. However, the Wankel rotary by it;s very nature requires some nurturing on a level approaching pedantism. The oil needs to be changed every few thousand miles, or you'll kill it. It absolutely must be run on Shell Optimax/V-Power (Or some other high-quality high-octane fuel) as the slightest hint of detonation means the rotor tips get blown to bits, something which happens on a regular occasion. While we're talking about fuel, 18mpg as an average is to be expected.

So yeh, the MR2 for me. It doesn't need to be looked after like a small child and it's certainly cheaper to run and maintain.

In a nutshell, if money is no object and you have a run-about for when it's off the road, get the RX-7. If not, the MR2 is for you.