safc vs safc 2 vs neo

jabran200

Member +
I am going to purchase one of the units in the next few days and was wondering whast the difference?.

the safce has 8 point, the safc2 2 has 12 and the neo has 16. From what i read they all smooth out the curve (i.e fill in the blanks between points) so if you set the same points along 2k,3k,4k,5k,6k,7k,7.5k,8k in all 3 (set in between for safc 2 and neo) then in theory woudl you not get the a simialr curve in the end as the safc will be workign out the in betweens.

I am just chatting rubbish? or is there a reason the neo is better(apart from the obvious like colour screen, vtec etc) in tuning the fuel car than the neo?

thanks guys

sx_turbo

Lifer
as far as im aware the neo is only better because it has a colour screen.

most people, say the safc 2 is better as it has a knock sensor in it

jabran200

Member +
well from waht i've read the have more "tuning" points, the safc supposed to have 8 the safc2 is meant to ahve 12 and the neo is meant to have 16.

sx_turbo

Lifer
oh i see. i still wouldnt bother with eitherof them though, as there very basic. they are cheap though which is the plus point.

i had the original safc that had 5 dials on it for set rpm's, this seemed to work well specially as i bought it fo £60. but i wouldnt do it again, i would get at least an emanage or a dastek unichip

starbogt

Member +
With the NEO there are no fixed points where you correct the fueling you can alter in 50rpm increments meaning if you get a good tuner they can get a more accurate tune. Although in novice mode you only have the 8 points of correction like the safc2. I'm finding it difficult to find someone that can set up my neo correctly!

Brad

Fresh Recruit
SAFC2`s are not manufactured any more , only the NEO's...

i've got a SAFC2 in my car , and we put a NEO into a friends EP82..

SAFC2 can store 2 maps , NEO can't
Neo has colour screen , but who cares...

i think they are a great product , the ability to tune your AF's correctly is great , with the reliability of the stock ECU to control ignition, cold start , idle up etc etc...
the starlets run way too rich , so the SAFC is an ideal product to solve that..

made a huge difference in my CT9 setup , made 12HP more AT THE WHEELS (from 138 to 150hp ATW)
alot nicer/smoother throttle response , and better fuel economy..

the EP82 had the NEO on his CT9..and we just finished fabricating a TD04 setup for it , and the SAFC+stock ECU worked perfectly with the TD04.. 14psi - 185hp at the tyres..

monka

Member +
how does the neo remember settings then if it cant store maps?

did you set them up your selves or go to a tuner?

Brad

Fresh Recruit
SAFC2 can store 2 maps , NEO can't , meaning the NEO can't store 2 , only 1
of course it must be able to store at least 1 map lol

on the dyno is the only way to do it correctly...
not to mention safely and legally..

herbie

Member +
Yeah, I think ill be buying a NEO in the near future but it does it seem a lot of money for only a 12 bhp gain???

Ive been quoted £500 for the unit to be fitted and mapped on the r/r.

Brad

Fresh Recruit
thats a rip off in our standards...
greenline.jp is a good spot to get them...

the unit is about A$400
fitting is simple and anyone can do it , there's even a diagram in the book for a starlet...it's about 7 wires to connect...

SAFC dyno tune A$150

not 12BHP gain , it's 12 WHEEL horsepower gain..
you read HP from the flywheel don't ya` , we go from the tyres...

the fuel saving and drivability is a huge improvement also remember...

jabran200

Member +
well after weighing out the difference i decied to sod the safcs and they like as people seem to want £150 for a neo used (£175 new) and £100 for safc2 which are not worth the money as they cannot do igintion or anything else apart from tune a/f.

So i thought e-manage and on my search i found this http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

looks guide has much better scale to map with and has many features built in which need to be bought as extras with an emanage. A proper e-manage setup with mapping software will cost around £300+ the AEM costs about £200 (£25 more then a neo) and ahs upto -15degree retard and +/- 100% pulse width whereas the emanage can only add fuel this can add and remove.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

Mines being ordered once i get my car ready (intercooler, fix exhaust and fix a few electrical issues).

monka

Member +
maf/map/mass

all the same thing basicly, just the difference from manufacture and on turbo and na cars

sx_turbo

Lifer
maf/map/mass

all the same thing basicly, just the difference from manufacture and on turbo and na cars

k cool.

but im 90% sure starlets dont have crank and cam sensors. (i may well be wrong though, but i didnt see any when i done my rebuild)