safe level of high boost for ct9

dark_knight

Member +
true true GT-TD04. so long as your fueling, charge cooling and ignition are taken care of, this is very possible on the ct9 platform..

in barbados with the hot climate and the quality of pump gas....i'd be a little iffy about running the ct9 at its maximum
do you have all supporting mods and something to tune fuel and ignition?

anyways, based on research the stock ct9 can usually go about 1bar
however, depending on the health of your turbo, life span maybe shortened.

Last edited:
ok thanks plp @knight by fuel u mean injectors and pump rite @gorganl wa parts did u get to make your hybrid. im plan to do one my self with a ct12/ct9 but i keep hearin down here that its goin to fail but there is a guy on this site with on?

Guye

Lifer
ok thanks plp @knight by fuel u mean injectors and pump rite @gorganl wa parts did u get to make your hybrid. im plan to do one my self with a ct12/ct9 but i keep hearin down here that its goin to fail but there is a guy on this site with on?

I have a ct9/ct20 hybrid fitted and I was running 15psi for years, 18psi max. I didn't build mine. It was purchase years ago from a seller turned conman name Kitaro on the old site.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Don't forget the UK climate is not very hot at all, it's humid and rains almost everyday, which is great for cooling the cars - radiators/IC and so on. Not ideal for traction though, but that would depend on the tyre choice.
I wouldn't go over 1 BAR, and not sure if it's a good idea with the standard top mount even if he'll sort out the Air to Fuel ratio...

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
The toysport site says ct9 48OD compressor wheel @ 60 efficiency = max pressure ratio is 2.2 which is atmosphere plus 1.2 bar or 17.4 psi and 900C exhaust temp http://www.toysport.com/webpages/techinfo/references/turbochargers.htm
> Cold climate experience says 1 bar recommeneded as at 1.2 bar maxing out fueling and added fuelling mass accompanies cold weather while in hot climate pressure will already be higher due to the hotter air in both cases pre-ignition has to be contained so recommended max. pressure will vary according to supporting mods.

@BAJANSUPERMAN on standard pistons?
From what Ive read 6 main areas effect piston failure :-

1 Which pistons ep82 or ep91
2 How much fuel ignites - effected by quality of the tuning.( typically fuel required for 220-230 bhp = temperature limit;
( but some have made more bhp )
3 Timing - very important as advance can push explosion to the side of the piston which will pivot it depending on oil,wear and tolerances.
4 Preignition and Detonation - Typically gasoline cylinder ignition pressures up to 700psi so 17.4psi is not going to worry the pistons unless
the 17.4psi causes fuel pre-ignition and detonation which sends pressures into the 1000's psi and destroys the engine.
5 Things effecting 4 above eg. Fuel type, temperature , air fuel pressure , exhaust temp /manifold ,CR , bore wash and mods.
6 Piston stretching (coming off throttle ) due to no explosion present to push pistons down while pistons too hot at high revs - adversely effected by temperature & raised rev limit

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
so 17.4psi for high boost would be a good level for stock in this heat

Opinions above point to 15psi, I'm not sure as my setup is different but logically a tmic would fry in your climate and raise pressure alot so 17.4psi may work as the max pressure on the hottest day but not as the normal boost setting. Remember when comparing turbos, ct9-ct12 hybrids may have a larger compressor housing which allows higher boost than the the stock ct9 housing.

I would add if the intercooler efficiency drops substantially intake temps could exceed the air temp sensor scale of 120C I don't know whether this causes limp mode but have up to 48deg C temp in Sydney so am also interested in how stock or other ecu's handle maxing out the temp sensor. From memory the stock ecu will default to 20C in certain sitautions to protect the engine but not sure if this one of those situations?

Last edited:
i dont have a hybrid ct9
can you list all the mods of the car you all plan to run this 1bar+ ct9 turbo
will it be properly tuned?

guye's car is modded to accomodate his boost,,,even then he still errs on the side of caution
if you try to run 1 bar + on a ct9 here in barbados without properly tuning and accomodating mods the car's engine will be destroyed very fast
as noted earlier...barbados climate is hot (about 30 deg C daily) and gas quality is not regarded as the best

PS - do it right the first time or prepare for repairs...this is not an area to be messing around unless its going to be done properly and completely. No shortcuts

Last edited:

which ct12 is it you are speaking about?
they are a few........if you mean the ct12 which is kind of like the ct9, then it may be a waste of your time
the ct9 hybrids of late tend to be a bit more advanced now...like guye's and the ones for sale by various traders here

if all fails, the glanza ct9b is usually a nice turbo for what it is,,,but finding one locally may be difficult

ct9, ct9b, ct9 hybrid....you are looking at around 160-200bhp at approximately 1bar