Santander :@

lingl9z

Member +
I'm a bit pissed off with this bank, I've 3 accounts with them and one has had a few hundread sat in it for a few months. I got a letter today saying 11th march unauthorised overdraft £25, 11th march unauthorised overdraft £25, 11th march unauthorised overdraft £25 then saying total £75... now I've not been in the minus on that account as I've not taken anything out in a few months now so why am I being charged, will call tomorrow but wanted to see if leaving my money in the bank and not touching allows them to charge me.. some how?

whiteglanzav

Member +
seems like an error on their part mate unless someone has access to your account without you knowing !!!

ring tomorrow and im sure theyll sort you owt

D

daz7505

a bank will charge you for anthing they can get away with, but defo look into why 3 charges. a lot of times the bank may scrap the charge but you generally have argue and threaten to close your accounts and take your money else where.
a few years ago, my account was at the very same branch as my works, and i got paid every friday direct into my account. i also had a savings account with a standing order set up for every friday, £10 from normal account to savings account. one week bank screwed up and did not transfer wages over. still tried to take £10 to put into savings account. i got a charge for my normal account not having enough funds, aand another charge for a returned standing order on my savings account.
they refused to scrap charges even after admitting they should of transfered my wages. i had a cheque book with 35 cheques still in, order a new cheque book with another 50, my card at the time was also £100 cheque garantee card. then went and closed both my accounts where by they had took the charges out of the savings acount.
i then decided to go on a spending spree, 85 cheques and £100 garantee card lol. bank should not of took pis5.

lingl9z

Member +
This bank always seem's to charge me for no damn reason lol! I've checked my online account and seem's everything is in order hmph, hoping it is just an error on their part, although I'm more than sure I need a new reliable bank!

lingl9z

Member +
a bank will charge you for anthing they can get away with, but defo look into why 3 charges. a lot of times the bank may scrap the charge but you generally have argue and threaten to close your accounts and take your money else where.
a few years ago, my account was at the very same branch as my works, and i got paid every friday direct into my account. i also had a savings account with a standing order set up for every friday, £10 from normal account to savings account. one week bank screwed up and did not transfer wages over. still tried to take £10 to put into savings account. i got a charge for my normal account not having enough funds, aand another charge for a returned standing order on my savings account.
they refused to scrap charges even after admitting they should of transfered my wages. i had a cheque book with 35 cheques still in, order a new cheque book with another 50, my card at the time was also £100 cheque garantee card. then went and closed both my accounts where by they had took the charges out of the savings acount.
i then decided to go on a spending spree, 85 cheques and £100 garantee card lol. bank should not of took pis5.

Lmao that is a pretty good Idea! If they don't take the charges back they'll have my chequebook and card to deal with!

D

daz7505

Lmao that is a pretty good Idea! If they don't take the charges back they'll have my chequebook and card to deal with!

they will chase you for it for a few years, and i do remember 1 of the last letters i seen about 4 years ago was for nearly 20grand with all the interest and charges. i think they give up some time ago now lol.

lingl9z

Member +
Lol good work, I guess when they added up all the charges they was ripping off other people your's was 'minor' and decided it wasnt worth it lol! It's pretty annoying getting home from a long day at work to find a someones trying to steal money from a place you thought was secure!

Gilly2006

Member +
i have an account with these. they have been ok, but i know something has gone out so im now gna get charged.
its a load of bolocks! i think im gna get rid an open an account with another bank that i know im happy with.
im not happy with my halifax account either. to start with there never used to be a charge for my arranged overdraft, now im getting charged a POUND a day for being over!
flamin joke!

lingl9z

Member +
Know how you feel mate, I called them today and they told me it was a 'bank charge error' that struck there systems resulting in many people getting charged! I guess they must make a mint from doing that every so often with the people that don't check/query it!

rb69

Member +
Abbey/Santander are robbing bastards. I have an account with them and at the end of one month I had something like 40 quid in there. Phone bill was due to come out the next day, which was something like £40.53. I knew this so transferred 150 quid into the account from another that I have, this money would go in by 2 in the morning at the latest so I knew it would be there in the account before the phone bill needed to come out.

Well thats what I thought. They decided they would take the phone bill out first and then say my £150 from the other account was available. So they charged me £30 quid for going 53p overdrawn. Scandalous

GT_Irl

Member +
Know how you feel mate, I called them today and they told me it was a 'bank charge error' that struck there systems resulting in many people getting charged! I guess they must make a mint from doing that every so often with the people that don't check/query it!

Thats it in a nutshell. These overcharges/random charges are almost certainly authorised by the banks (though how are we to prove it) as most people/companies do noy check their statements in detail and rarely query bank charges.

Both my parents are accountants and my Dad is always on the phone to banks (on his clients behalf) f**king them out of it for overcharging. Everyone keep a close eye on your statements;)

Banks (although neccessary) are all thieving bastards. They made record profits right through boom time and then we all had to bail them out when things got bad and they repay us by shafting us at every oppurtunity. bastards.

Hazzagray

Member +
I work for a bank, cant say names obviously. I have had alot of people in from santander saying they arent happy with them (i dont work for them) so you guys arent the only people who get stitched for it.

Halifax is the first in the way of change, all banks will be following suite shortly, with the charge structure that is. You fail to mention that they give u £5 a month for paying in your salary, which is a benefit. the best thing to do in re charges is to go into the branch and speak to a more senior member of staff and just explain the situation as to your charges. There is a policy in my establishment that hte first charge is generally returned as good will.

The problem is everybody attacks the retail sector of the banks....who dont make al the money, its private wealth and those things and it was never the retail sector that caused the financial crisis. so you taking it out on those faces you see in the banks isnt fair. i have had my fair share of 'you steal all our money etc'.

sorry to hear about that mate, it has to be in error and i know you will get it back!

GT_Irl

Member +
I work for a bank, cant say names obviously. I have had alot of people in from santander saying they arent happy with them (i dont work for them) so you guys arent the only people who get stitched for it.

Halifax is the first in the way of change, all banks will be following suite shortly, with the charge structure that is. You fail to mention that they give u £5 a month for paying in your salary, which is a benefit. the best thing to do in re charges is to go into the branch and speak to a more senior member of staff and just explain the situation as to your charges. There is a policy in my establishment that hte first charge is generally returned as good will.

The problem is everybody attacks the retail sector of the banks....who dont make al the money, its private wealth and those things and it was never the retail sector that caused the financial crisis. so you taking it out on those faces you see in the banks isnt fair. i have had my fair share of 'you steal all our money etc'.

sorry to hear about that mate, it has to be in error and i know you will get it back!

I wasnt having a go at people who work on the floor in the actual banks dude I was referring to decsions made further up and lets just forget the banking crisis....still doesnt account for the regularity of these random charges/overcharges...I mean it happens far to much for it just to be an 'error'. How often do bank errors occur in pepoles favour??

durmz

Member +
they will chase you for it for a few years, and i do remember 1 of the last letters i seen about 4 years ago was for nearly 20grand with all the interest and charges. i think they give up some time ago now lol.

no offence, but no bank gives up on 20 grand

..............................whats that smell?

Kelly

Member +
Ive heard lots of problems about Santander. I was tempted to move over to them by there offer of £100 cashback and 0% overdraft but after a lil research i realised it wasnt worth the hassle.

Try www.moneysavingexpert.com get loadsa help on there on dealing with banks and getting the money with charges back. Believe it or not despite the stuff on the news ppl are still getting their money back.

D

daz7505

no offence, but no bank gives up on 20 grand

this incident all happened back in 1993. some 17 years ago, i have now not heard from them in 10 years. so i do think they have give up, dont you?????

D

daz7505

still wouldent have posted this on a public forum though mate!
not mentioned which bank and cant see some one from every single bank in uk reading this perticular topic then going thru tons and tons of paper work and computer databases just on the off chance that it may be thier bank, therefore i think i can say i have got away with it and wil never be hearing from a certain bank in the future.

lingl9z

Member +
Good to see I'm not the only one having issues, I'll more than likely move to barclays as they seem to offer some good deals... santander charge like 1.56 a month for an overdraft (for me anyways) just for the privalidge of having it! :(

Iain@CRD

Lifer
They are a complete joke Santander. They sent me to debt collection after an account was settled in error. This is why ill NEVER keep my money in a bank account any longer.

Not sure if your aware of this either .. not saying this is your case but a point to note for anyone.

If your bank with Santander for example and have a credit card with them they are authorised to take all the money out of your account when they wish. Its recommended you dont take/borrow any money with who you bank with. Something i learned when working for a debt collection agency.